1x11 advice

Hawmaw

MacRetro Rider
The Voodoo Bizango has been great since I got it through cycle2work however the gearing is a bit much for the hills. It comes with a 32T SRAM direct mount chainring as standard. This has a 3mm offset.
Wiggle are currently selling a 28T SRAM direct mount chainring with 6mm offset for £9.99. Will the extra 3mm offset work ?
I have no experience whatsoever with 1x setups
I might just buy it at that price and give it a try.

Re:

It’ll work fine.
Manufacturers say it will be less than optimal chainline. Theoretically worse in biggest couple of cogs at back but with a smaller ring you’ll be spending less time in them than you were. Look up 3mm on a ruler and stop worrying.

Re:

I think the only time I ever actually checked chainline was when setting up a single speed bike, the rest of the time I just throw the components on and go ride it :LOL:

Re: Re:

jimo746":1jptpu2m said:
I think the only time I ever actually checked chainline was when setting up a single speed bike, the rest of the time I just throw the components on and go ride it :LOL:

Aye, like the time you didn’t check if the seatpost was actually long enough :facepalm:

clubby":2doyrc0u said:
jimo746":2doyrc0u said:

Aye, like the time you didn’t check if the seatpost was actually long enough :facepalm:

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger :D

Every day I'm surprised I'm still here... :shock: :LOL:

clubby":1oiube56 said:

Is it a bad sign that I don't know which occasion you're on about?
It's happened more than once :facepalm:

Re:

Thanks chaps. It's not boost. I'll get the rule out later and measure. I'm curious now. It's not something that really mattered with 2x or 3x set ups.

Re:

Ordered a 28T with 3mm offset from ebay for £17 so it should just be a straight swap and maintain the original chainline

Back