KHS Montana Pro - Does this count?

Alex

Retro Newbie
Hello

I've just found this site and was wondering if my 94 KHS Montana Pro counts? Some of the components are still original, shifters, bars, X-lite bar ends etc.

It's been sitting in the garage for some time and the seat post has stuck in the frame. If anyone can offer some advice on how this can be removed it would be appreciated as I would like to use it again.

Cheers

Alex

Oh yeah! Lovely bikes to ride, sure they don't have the "Kudos" or profile of some other brands but who wants a common bike! :LOL:

KHS & ParkPre are 2 of the most underrated brands out there!

KHS were great! When they came out it was one of THE bikes to have!

I just got my seatpost removed from my Team Marin at Lee Cooper Cycles. http://www.leecoopercycles.com/ Give Lee a call, he can do it several ways, and did mine using a hacksaw blade to cut up the stuck post, cos I didn't want the paintwork burnt off. He even nicely reamed the seat tube back to 27.2mm. :D

Great bikes - still riding one regularly now. Has been through a load of changes in the 10+ years I've had it.

Started out totally shop spec - XT groupo, Zoom stem and bar, stupidly light skinny forks, XT hubs with Bonty rims and pinch puncture tastic Panaracer 1.5 inch tyres.

Then I started racing it and breaking bits - XT cranks replaced with Tioga revolvers (which are still going strong 10 years later), XT mechs replaced with XTR, Xlite ti bar and bar ends, Syncros stem, Manitou II forks.

Then it was neglected when I started work and sulked in various cupboards for a few years. Occasionaly brought out to hit some fav old rides in the Lakes or Wales. The Manitou's died a death on a ride in the Lakes so it returned to the cupboard for another year.

Finally got round to giving it some TLC earlier this year and probably committed a huge retro crime by getting it resprayed and fitting some RC-31s to replace the dead Manitous. Also fitted some funky carbon bars to match. Now its a superlightweight rigid ride again - a sort of 2006 update on the original.

So does it still count as retro? :)

KHS Montana Pro Fz

I bought a 1992 or 93 new back in the day because I really liked the frame geometery, the mix of components, and the fact that it was pretty light. I still ride the piss out of it. It was labeled a FZ because it came with front susp, a Rockshox mag 20. I think KHS back then was one of the first to really mix up the parts. It even came with a 2.1 front tire and a 1.9 on the rear. I ordered it through a bike shop and had them swap out the rapid fire for XT thumbies with Dia Comp levers and also placed a Selle Italia Flite on it.

I always liked this bike for what it is and for what it had to offer, and the fact that it was priced right back then.

as it happens i was driving throught honley today near huddersfield and their was an middle aged couple the gent had a mint montana pro and i think the other was a manorch comp m fox

Back