Difference between Banana and Pro Tour?

ThePowster

Old School Hero
Afternoon chaps.

Can someone tell me what the difference is between a Raleigh Banana and a Raleigh Kellogg's Pro Tour?

Re:

Is that it?

I've restored me banana but would like a Pro tour too but as I'm looking at the pro one I'm thinking hmm this is just a banana with diff colour scheme.

Water to check before I buy the same bike twice lol.

a lot of the Raleighs of that era were based around exactly the same frame, just painted differently and with minor tweaks to equipment spec by model or year. FWIW, I'd not be surprised if a lot the spec changes were just down to supply issues.

One year its a banana with black wheels and ofmega chainset, next year its a pro tour with a TA chainset and chromed wheels sort of thing.

Re:

Lovely that's just the kinda intel I was looking for, and saved me a whole load of cash in the process.

if I remember correctly unless you have the 531c banana then the banana would have had very basic equipment such as safty brake levers and a 18 - 23 steal frame.

The pro tour had slightly better equipment like single lever brake levers, QR front wheel (may be rear as well ? ) and had a Reynolds 501 frame

Re:

Only thing original on my Banana is the frame, forks and Raleigh badge, rest are all upgrades. Oh the seat is a new original turbo seat. All good info :)

Maca":3dn8lze8 said:
The pro tour had slightly better equipment like single lever brake levers, QR front wheel (may be rear as well ? ) and had a Reynolds 501 frame
This is important, if it is a 501 frame, it means it's actually a model up the range.

Most of the "basic" frames were raleighs ubiquitous 18-23, which is the multiply re-specced and resprayed frames i was talking about.

Re:

Hmm I do like that colour, looks clean, and having the words Pro Tour on it has gotta be worth a few extra watts lol.

I think I'll be grateful I have the trusty banana ;)

Back