The 'Introduce Yourself Here' thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you need to be a member to ride the XC trails? On the website it said that you must stick to the marked trails, is this true?

Well......first bike was a 1984 'ish Rockhopper (could have been 1985), red frame, sealed bearing hubs, riser bars etc. I had previously fitted a triple chainring to my coughDawes Galaxy touring bike prior to this as I was into off road trails.
Sold the Rockhopper to buy a Cannondale M800 "Beast of the East" which survived major upgrades with Mavic Energy M7CD rims on XT hubs, Kona Project 2 forks etc to the extent that the only original parts are the main frame, rear Dia-compe brake and the seatpost. This became my main bike for exploring Scottish tracks/Hillpaths and competing in 7 Polaris events from the early 90's.
Upgraded to Pace RC35 MXC, then finally bought an Orange O2 when they came out.
Swapped the forks onto the Orange, added a USE XCR seatpost adn this remains my main bike.
Still have the Cannondale though, currently has slicks and is my 'road bike'
Most prized possession? A Mint keyring.

Introductions

Hi All,

Just a quick Intro, I'm Mark From Bromley in Kent,
Built my first off road bike from an old 5 speed racer, and my wrecked Grifter, It had white hammerite paint and cyclo cross tyres. lucky for me some one stole it.

with the insurance money :oops: bought a bright orange GT Karakoram , did a few races , and fell in love with mountain biking.

In 94 went to university in the days of grants and was going to buy a Chas Roberts Dogs Bollocks, but was talked out of it by the boys at Bromley bike, Bought an Fat Chance Yoedddy instead. Still Riding it now, stopped riding for about 5 years, Kids and new house, so all the original parts are still on it, so is already retro.

still trying to read all the stuff on here ,

Mark

Hi all, like the site.
I've been into off-road biking since I was 15 or so, and my first bike was a 'bitsa' special: ordinary steel frame and forks, with canti bosses brazed on (by Mike Burrows, no less), with full Suntour stuff on it, including blue VX cranks and hubs, a Superbe Tech rear mech, beartap pedals, a mighty shifter thumbie, XC Power brake levers, Dia Compe 980 canti's, plus Weinmann concave 700 c(!) rims. It was great fun and I used it every day, riding to and from work and everywhere else.
That was 26 years ago though...
Now I have 8 bikes, including three XC'ers: 1 hardtail, 1 FS, and one e-stay that I'm currently building. Don't get out enough on the bikes anymore!

Hi all

Was over the chase the over week when bumped into some of you. It was first time in years i had seen a FAT! very nice too!

Started in mtb about 1986 with Muddyfox Courier which i ran for years until i got a saracen (i know :LOL: ) which was changed VERY quickly for a cannondale (about 1990 think it was a M900 the one with suntour microdrive). At this time a mate a Yo Eddy which i loved but there was no way i could afford to buy one on my apprentice wages! he told me about the importer in Kidderminster (mountain imports?) who was selling his Wicked so i bought it! Was in purple/gold fade as it had been cover of MBUK for article on custom paint. Anyway years later i lost interest in mtb (beer,fags,women,clubbing etc) so like a fool i sold it and i missed it ever since.

Then i saw the lovely Yo Eddy and Shockabiily on the chase recently and i was reawakened! I had no idea there was such interest in retro. I have since tracked down my old bike and altough i have not seen it yet the owner sez its a mess. Can have it for 50 quid though! Can you still get the bits for this as it looks like i may have a major project on my hands!

Thanks!

missmyfat":7b6r4oww said:
Can you still get the bits for this as it looks like i may have a major project on my hands!

Do it fella, you won't regret it, advertise for the parts you need on here and keep checking ebay etc.

:)

Thanks Steve

Have just spoke to the guy again, he is bringing it round tomorrow! he says the forks are "knackered" (they were Pro Circuit, remember them?) should still have the original steel forks in the garage somewhere. Hope the Cook Bros cranks and campag groupset are okay!

missmyfat":mhjcuth2 said:
Started in mtb about 1986 with Muddyfox Courier which i ran for years until i got a saracen (i know :LOL: )

Ahem :!: , I happen to like my saracen :|

he told me about the importer in Kidderminster (mountain imports?) who was selling his Wicked so i bought it! Was in purple/gold fade as it had been cover of MBUK for article on custom paint.

:idea: Was that the one they used in the paint job article, had matching manitou forks or like :?:

No offence meant! :oops: You would not like this saracen!

As for the paint article it does not sound like the one. As i remember it did not have fork on in picture, it was hanging up on those hook things they use at paint shops. The bike had plain white steel forks on until i put on pro circuits.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back