RBotM February 2019 - Theme = Winter Frame Project Month

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I'm throwing this frame in for the Winter frame project. My winter project is also to be a winter bike. To me a winter frame is a frame that isn't a great frame but a frame that you don't mind getting cruddy with grime during the dark commutes. This frame is straight and true, branded 'Nickel' and made from Columbus Aelle tubing. Cant find out much about the brand but its got heart shaped lugs, fastback seat stay and Columbus dropouts. A bit of research leads me to think the maker is Tecnotrat from Italy. They also made frames under the Saronni and DeBernardi names. Serial Number is JA 04 97. I think its meant for 8 speed due to the braze ons on the bottom of the head tube but ive got a mis-mash 7 speed Shimano tricolour group with Ultegra crank. 3TTT stem and bar. Turbo saddle and Alesa rimmed Shimano hubbed wheels. Its already got a Campagnolo mirage headset. All bought quite frugally when I see a bargain. For example, the Ulterga crank with two brand new chain rings and bottom bracket for £20 and the frame was £45 both from eBay. A true value winter mile munching hack. Cheers.

Attachments

• IMG-2257.JPG
    IMG-2257.JPG
    185.5 KB · Views: 5,085
  • IMG-2256.JPG
    IMG-2256.JPG
    133.1 KB · Views: 5,085
The sister frame to my other green King of Mercia.
This is the King in waiting.
Been waiting in the loft for a fair while.
It is being built up as one is getting painted, either the road geometry King or this, the touring King.
653 throughout.

Jamie

DSC_1913 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

DSC_1924 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

As my Welsh cousin would say “now there’s lovely isn’t it?”

Will we see a build thread one day Jamie?

Re:

Hi,

Thought I'd add my recently restored Gino Milani frameset from 1983/83. Just completed the build recently after a year.

Built from Columbus SL Tubes. Milani was the Father in Law of the famous and recently passed Dario Pegoretti. Dario did tell me he built this frame and said that it was a special order\built for a friend, Dario said no more than 20 exist due the quattrofoil/4 leaf clover cut-outs on the bottom bracket shell. Built with period correct Campagnolo SR/NR parts. Has taken over a year to restore as I had a friend Ian Da Costa recreate the decals for me and repaint it. Enjoy!

Info on Gino Milani:

http://www.classicrendezvous.com/Italy/milani_gino.htm

Milani was a contract builder who built for many top companies like Pinarello, Colnago etc.

More pics>

viewtopic.php?f=12&p=2919842#p2919842

Cheers,

Toby

Attachments

• 20190214_142924_resized_2-min.jpg
    20190214_142924_resized_2-min.jpg
    233.7 KB · Views: 5,003
  • 5oaEXVqeMNRQ1kNb-pic-jpg.jpg
    5oaEXVqeMNRQ1kNb-pic-jpg.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 5,003
Re: Re:

toby1974":2mcalylk said:
Hi,

Thought I'd add my recently restored Gino Milani frameset from 1983/83. Just completed the build recently after a year.

So not a current project then? :|

Re:

As it mentions:

"It's the cold dark winter months (quiet down you southern hemisphere boys at the back) and while maybe not getting out to ride as much, there is always a good deal of projects either getting started or getting finished off. So now is the chance to show them off before having to get it finished to enter".

Meaning it took me a year to finish the artwork/paint and gather all the parts and put it together last week, so kind of is current.

I have a few other frames hanging in my shed which are all for restoring rebuilding(not right now though), but I thought this would be better to show, from rough looking frame to shiny restored vintage bike.

Toby

Not denying its a great bike Toby, just think it would be more suited to a regular Rbotm month rather than this frame/winter project month.

Chris.

Re:

Here's my latest project, bought just before Xmas. Early / mid 90's Piton Bi-tube made with Dedacciai Zerouno. I dropped on a similar aged donor Gazelle with full Campag Athena groupset - just need to add the pedals, bar tape and I'm just waiting for the decals to arrive.

PS - eagle eyed retrobikers might notice LH crank is missing - it's currently in the freezer prior to (trying) to free off a very stubborn pedal!

Attachments

• P2190086.JPG
    P2190086.JPG
    108 KB · Views: 4,971
  • P2190089.JPG
    P2190089.JPG
    76.5 KB · Views: 4,971
Re:

I can definitely see the frame - wheels are not for this frame - just for the picture. And I wasn't going to strip it for a photo!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back