Arthur Caygill 653 Custom

Thats a very nice frame. And even though the red it is now is a nice colour it was a bit of a shock scrolling down from the original paint to the red bike, think it might be the red tyres that did it :LOL:

looking forward to seeing this get restored, i hope you get it sprayed the colour you remember, and i say go with your heart and get it done by Fat Creations :)

Mark

Re: Re:

iveto1983":5rnihgj0 said:
The original build and the road frame both have stunning paint jobs. I look forward to seeing your rebuild on it.

It’s a shame that the Reynolds special botm came too early for this to be entered, it would have been a real contender!

Wow, praise indeed for a skinny tubed oddity from North Yorks, thank you! Maybe it'll be eligible for another one when it's done.

mkone":5rnihgj0 said:
Thats a very nice frame. And even though the red it is now is a nice colour it was a bit of a shock scrolling down from the original paint to the red bike, think it might be the red tyres that did it :LOL:

looking forward to seeing this get restored, i hope you get it sprayed the colour you remember, and i say go with your heart and get it done by Fat Creations :)

Mark

Thanks Mark, the colours have to be just right, I'll speak to FC right after Easter and see if they can turn it around for the summer. I think it might be the ridiculously GREEEEN bug behind it that does it!

Re:

A bit of an update after a wet easter!

I bought a pair of used 36-hole M231CD/M737 wheels a while back with the intention of punting the hubs on and rebuilding the rims onto my original XTR hubs. The cones in my hubs aren't great, so I've paused for a while while I decide whether to buy some NOS 32-hole M900 hubs I know of and look for some NOS 32-hole M231CDs or just crack on. I've rebuilt the hubs anyway in case I carry on with Plan A.
A mate of mine is a tech for Shimano, as well as being an all round GC. He donated some genuine Dura-Ace freehub grease, which I got through the freehub by warming the freehub up gently on a camping stove. Gentle tapping on the bench and spinning, then repacking from the inboard end saw the mucky old grease running out between the body and bearing surface. Freehub is as good as new. Waiting on new bearings for the front before I rebuild that one.

I also took the road frame round a couple of local automotive paint suppliers. Safe to say that it's 100% NOT any RAL colour, so now I'm really nervous about getting a good match on the colours. Can't use a spectrophotometer on it thanks to the skinny tubes, so it's going to have to be done by eye. Fat Creations have a fearsome waiting list that might mean it wouldn't be done till the winter, but maybe that's the best chance of getting it right? I'm going to send the fork to Argos and let them try to match it, fingers crossed.

I'd love to know who painted them originally for Arthur, maybe I'll have to get over my shyness and just ask him who did them...

Thanks for looking, feels like I'm making a bit of progress at the minute, but I'm really windy about this paint!

The sample arrived back from Argos today:

I'm really pleased with it, the pink is a little brighter, maybe the original has faded over the last 25 years. The purple looks spot bollock on :cool:

I'm going to box up the F&F and send them back to Argos, my fears are gone. Really excited to get this back and built now!!!

Still looking for the odd part, and I've got bits coming to me from all over the world, but things are starting to come together :)

Re:

That looks like it’ll be a great match! I look forward to seeing your progress now.

Well, I've just about collected all the parts I need now, just a few bits and bobs needed and I can begin the buildup!

Nice build... even for a red Sauce lover..

If anyone reading this has any leads on some Minty Black Zoom Ned Overends. Then please let Neil know.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think Bob Jackson's painted the caygills BITD, not sure if they don't still do them now... When I took mine to be resprayed at Jackson's, they had the same colour options as when I got the frame originally from caygill. The Argos sample looks a good match though, looking forward to seeing this built!

Back