Kona Hot 1997

Re: Kona Hot 1997: finished pictures P10

Well .... me. That is ...ing amazing. Great job finding it and well done on the build.
Can you find me something similar in 20" so that I can actually build something I can ride?! ;)

albash82":1irwtxyt said:
Well .... me. That is ...ing amazing. Great job finding it and well done on the build.
Can you find me something similar in 20" so that I can actually build something I can ride?! ;)

Cheers; 20" are rarer for sure and 21"s pretty much non-existent. That said, I've got the 97 20" Caldera in the stable so if you've got a 19" to swap I'm all ears :LOL: :LOL:

magas":1irwtxyt said:
Great frame, good choice of components = for sure a great ride :D
Well done and have fun with it :) one minor detail, I would change (the Yeti grips) ;)

Cheers dude. There're a firm favourite, they work well with my paws and you know me, this is a rider ;)

Looking bad ass Al! Glad you didnt go down the silver Z2 route with the coloured metallics. Looking forward to a descriptive Reynolds 853 ride report of the Hot V Team Explosif!

romanrinos":2r40vbd8 said:
Looking bad ass Al! Glad you didnt go down the silver Z2 route with the coloured metallics. Looking forward to a descriptive Reynolds 853 ride report of the Hot V Team Explosif!

Cheers dude. Yep, the frame deserves complimentary colours not clashes like silver. Likewise, roll-on spring and drier trails asap.

Re:

Frame: Kona Hot 1997, made in November 1996 by Altitude with Reynolds 853 main tubes and - at a best guess - Reynolds 725 stays
Fork: Marzocchi Bomber Z2s, first generation, built June 1996

Headset: Chris King threadless, black, 1 1/8
Stem: ControlTech, 130mm, 5 degree rise
Handlebar: Syncros Hardcore
Grips: Yeti lock-ons

Brakes: Avid Ti Vs
Brake Cables: Shimano
Brake Levers: Avid Ti Vs

Shifters: Shimano XTR M950
Front Derailleur: Shimano XTR M950, top pull, 28.6mm
Rear Derailleur: Shimano XTR M950 main body, XTR M951 medium cage lower and M951 jockey wheels
Derailleur Cables: Shimano
Cassette: Shimano XTR M950
Chain: SRAM magic link 8 speed
Cranks: Race Face Turbines
Crank Bolts: Maddison
Chainrings: Race Face
Chainring bolts: Race Face
Bottom Bracket: Shimano UN55
Pedals: Shimano XT M8000

Hub Skewers: Mavic
Rims: Mavic CrossMax
Hubs: Mavic CrossMax
Nipples: Mavic
Spokes: Mavic
Tyres: Panaracer Classic Compe Smoke and Dart
Tubes: Continental
Valve caps: Token

Saddle: Selle Italia Flite (modern version)
Seatpost: Syncros, 27.0mm

Hurry up spring...

Before:

WHRBsR.jpg

Now:

Bhbell.jpg

Looks fantastic, you even lined up the valve caps! Now go get it dirty :)

Re:

Al, once again you’ve done a first class job. The build has been well thought through for a rider. This Hot is a fine complement to your Team Edition Explosif.

The weather was Spring like here yesterday, so I look forward to hearing a proper ride report from you soon.

Pip.

Re: Re:

pipmeister":23qdljlr said:
Al, once again you’ve done a first class job. The build has been well thought through for a rider. This Hot is a fine complement to your Team Edition Explosif.

The weather was Spring like here yesterday, so I look forward to hearing a proper ride report from you soon.

Pip.

Cheers dude - your friendship and insight continues to be first class :)

When I mean spring, I mean dry trails ;)

Re:

I finally got the maiden shake-down ride in the bag on Sunday. Around my local trails, nothing fancy. A proper ride report will come later in the year. Aside the usual tweaks we all make after the initial build, sorry to be predictable - she's a beast :LOL:

She fits right in and next to the Explosif's, particularly the team Explosif. They have much in common:

• They go like stink; you don't lose a single ounce of power
    They perform better the faster you go
    They are light and super agile
    They are well balanced; the slightly heavier Z2 front end off-sets the riders mass

The differences so far are two fold. The stays and how the rear handles. It's obvious, for me, the Hot is more "solid". The Explosif is more twitchy and a little bit more sensitive. I found I could sling the Hot a little bit more. This doesn't mean one is better than the other. Personally I prefer the livelier feel as I get a better sense of the trail and flow. And the Hot gives a bit more predictability. The difference is subtle but it's there.

The other is stopping power. Good lord, those rims are insane. The combo of the Explosif's Arch Rivals and Crossrides give great modulation. The stopping power of the Hot's Avid Ti and Crossmax ceramic rims are as strong as disc's - no question. There's hardly any modulation so I've got to keep my wits about me.

<I did pinch myself and have a proper grin when it sunk in I was riding a Hot>

More adventures to come, not least Mayhem...

IS2PsP.jpg

Re: Re:

al-onestare":39o6qu7y said:
More adventures to come, not least Mayhem...

IS2PsP.jpg

:cool: looking forward to seeing it at Mayhem

Mark

Latest posts

Back