Custom tax.

:facepalm: GSP intra-EU. What next...

The GSP started in the USA on Ebay.com. Money making scheme it is, but government authorities were
claiming Ebay was practicing smuggling and the legal time bomb was ticking. They saw an opportunity
to gain more control of the supply chain and reduce Paypal Claims.

My experience of GSP from the USA to EU; Pitney Bowels were supposed to re-pack
the item properly and do the formalities for export according to a status I received. What
they actually did was remove all packing material and make it as light as possible for shipping
the *uckers. NOS BNIB £120 leather Ti rail saddle was instead just knocking around in a badly
taped up and stickerd box without the original box. I put in a Claim towards the seller, but Ebay just decided
to close the issue all by their own accord. They argued the seller did his part to post to the Putney Bowels
center and he even produced photos of his original packing. Ebay and their preferred shipping contracter
were simply not willing to pick-up the tab. That was the death nail of GSP for me.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
dyna-ti":296vojv6 said:
Moral of the story - Ask the seller before buying. Agree a price and see if he'll relist it as parts or not working at that agreed price. At least it would record it more accurately to what it actually is condition and standing wise :?

Sadly won't make a jot of difference. Even if you import scrap, you pay.

Pretty sure to even attempt to get the VAT back you would need to be VAT registered
and claim the input VAT against the output VAT.

Woz":mht3zndr said:
After that all purchases from outside the EU are a no-no unless economically it still makes sense.

With you there chum, buying from outside of the EU right now is a mine field, and ‘handy tips’ like get the seller to down value the package are just bunk....

So right now I’m going through a bit of a buying spree from our European chums, just in case it all goes daft for the rest of 2019 after “THE 29TH”

Re:

It is the same in all EU, we have to add import tax duties. The EU is doing a agreement with Japan, I´m waiting for that to buy some JDM stuff but I would like a agreement with Canadá and USA, that will be great, IF, Watson, Kent Ericksen, Merlin, Rocky Mountain (I whant annother :D ) ... my my pocket is saking :LOL:

For a New IF the price was 2500 euros (custom paint) in USA but with shipping (that is ok) and import tax, european dealer and shop ... more than 4000 euros. It was crazy when they told me that :facepalm: For a Frame only.

Woz":2lsdls4w said:
regan_ev":2lsdls4w said:
Always ask the sender to declare NO GREATER THAN $15.00 USD value for whatever is in the package and be as vague as possible on the description. "Vintage bike parts" sent as gift usually does the trick. Anything over $15 will incur duty and/or VAT. And Royal Mail will charge you £8.00 just to tell you there's a charge due whcih is the real plss take!

Or putting it another way and more accurately, ask the seller to commit fraud on your behalf. Just saying.

Yes, exactly. Because why should any government get even more taxes on stuff that was taxed to the hilt in the first place especially if it’s vintage and out of production? And especially when the same governments allow the deferral of billions in taxes from global giants like Amazon, Facebook, Google etc, which in many respects is also fraud but also completely legal, apparently.

Two wrongs don’t make a right and all that, but the law is an ass, remember that.

rwm1962":2lsdls4w said:
Be mindful under-declaring value to help out an international buyer can have implications for any subsequent claim from the courier in case of loss. You can't claim £200 if you put £10 on customs form

Not if you pay for an additional insurance cover. If I buy the Mona Lisa for a tenner but know full well it’s worth a billion, and I insure it for a billion, the payout won’t be a tenner if it’s lost in the post. (Extreme example but that’s exactly how postal insurance works. I recently bought a Yeti / AccuTrax fork. It was insured for four times what the eBay price was because if it was lost or damaged, I’d need the extra cash to find a replacement quickly.

Cost and value are not mutually exclusive.

regan_ev":18dji61o said:
Cost and value are not mutually exclusive.

As an online seller of what I make the difference is called profit. I take the hit for items lost in post. My buyers don't set the value or insurance. I do.

Rare art & purchases from non business ebay sellers can, I appreciate, be different.

Claims I've made both for business & personally have wanted proof of an items value rather than just paying out the insured value. As that is often banded ie up to £200, £500 etc that is understandable.

Back