Kona Hot 1997

Re:

Great to see it taking shape.?I think once the cranks are installed it will really come to life re:frame and forks.

Perhaps keep an eye out for some silver Z2s if you see a nice one to suit? I reckon that would set the frame off even better.

Re:

Cheers.

But silver would mean too much of a clash with black. I'm going for a stealth look to off-set the paintwork and too much silver means too much shine and distraction. Plus these are pretty much period correct for the banal side of me :LOL: I let that slip for the lesser stuff like pedals, grips, etc.

Re:

M950 M951 transplant surgery. Decent M950 rear mechs are increasingly hard to find so this is the best alternative and functionally, much more sensible. Half an hour later, a longer swing arm and NOS jockey wheels, it's good to go and should last a long time.

LlLKTz.jpg

snpBtp.jpg

uTBBLg.jpg

This is after I'd cleaned it - it was seriously caked in that black oil mud goo - and it was only then you could see just how mashed the wheels were...

XqxTFr.jpg

...and the swing arm!

frCR3Y.jpg

Et voila!

QNOYQg.jpg

I swapped out the inner tubes, installed the BB (and rear mech) and added some nice bottle cage bolts. I'm waiting on an alternative granny ring before I add the cranks. The one I have isn't a black RaceFace one. A minor detail perhaps but one that'd bug me :LOL: Fingers crossed the postal strikes in Canada don't hold up it's delivery too much.

Finally, I'm a bit torn on top-caps. I could stick with the CK - nothing wrong with that. I have one of the newer Kona est. 1988 flat ones that's nice but doesn't look quite right with the bigger bolt. If anyone has something interesting that's black, I'm open to ideas :D

Re:

Getting there.

Before:

2eVLf3.jpg

After:

373W2q.jpg

I'm just waiting on the replacement CT stem; same length (135mm) but with 5 degrees rise. I draw the line at 0 :LOL: Fingers crossed it arrives this week. If it does then I should be able to cable up and get fettling. In the meantime here she is:

e0bRtz.jpg

bcjBVq.jpg

Re:

At last the clouds parted last Sunday and I had time to get some half-decent pictures of the build. I'd finished it at the start of the year but it's been too gloomy, wet or both. These still don't do the bike justice so come on spring so I get her out there with a ride report and some proper shots.

Bhbell.jpg

GeorkH.jpg

krk3X4.jpg

YekNir.jpg

WKYNCl.jpg

BicsOU.jpg

Penuu1.jpg

gR2iUW.jpg

zOPTGl.jpg

ohbbaZ.jpg

The more I see her battle scars, the more I can't wait to ride her. Like the Team Explosif, there's a certain liberation riding in anger and not worrying about a stone ding here or a falling with grace ejector seat moment (or three). Roll on the new season!

hBNGtk.jpg

Re: Kona Hot 1997: finished pictures P10

Great frame, good choice of components = for sure a great ride :D
Well done and have fun with it :) one minor detail, I would change (the Yeti grips) ;)

Re: Kona Hot 1997: finished pictures P10

:cool: or should that be Hot!

Very nice, look forward to more pics when its out and about, and maybe next to your Team Explosif too :)

Curious, is the paint the same on both frames, i mean the length of flame and style etc?

Mark

Re:

Nope. It should be but it isn't. It's talked about in the Team Explosif thread. In a nutshell one is painted by Velographics/Altitude, one by Enigma or Hodaka/someone else (and in a hurry).

Back