R E W Reynolds gearing question

phoog

Devout Dirtbag
Feedback
View
I've just picked up this R E W Reynolds that looks to me like it's been refurbed with newer parts in the 70s, I think the frame is made for 27" not 700, but I can't find a serial number anywhere, The frame has a grease nipple on the BB shell, anyway I've got 3 questions for anyone with more Knowledge than me !
when was it made ?, is there any way of knowing who the frame maker was and what sort of gears should it have ? There is a double cable guide on the drive side (nothing on the left) which I though at first might be for a Sturmey Archer but the rear braze ons and bb cable guide are for a derailleur
Sorry about the pics,

Attachments

• IMG_20190205_114611_1.jpg
    IMG_20190205_114611_1.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 558
  • IMG_20190205_114642.jpg
    IMG_20190205_114642.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 558
  • IMG_20190205_114654.jpg
    IMG_20190205_114654.jpg
    167.4 KB · Views: 558
Midlife":273hamlv said:
Its a five speed time trial bike for use with bar a end shifter :)

But it looks like it has mudguard eye's on the rear at least .

Normally Ralphy Reynolds frame's have a 4 digit number stamped on the underside of the bottom bracket

A lot of his frame's were made by Woodrup cycles in Leeds , who made the others is still a mystery .

See a thread of mine on Cycle chat and i think there is one on here as well , and feel free to post a couple of pictures on my facebook page R.E.W Reynolds Bikes & Cycles .

Looks a nice bike and love the colour scheme

The full wrap over seat stays are interesting. Did Reynolds build their own frames or were they bought in? (Thanks to Biggs for his info posted after I started typing!) I would be a bit wary of the security of the down tube levers. Without a 'stud' of some sort on the downtube they could very easily slip. Looks late 60's/early 70's period to me or possibly slightly earlier? Nice machine.

Old Ned":3p4zbqyt said:
The full wrap over seat stays are interesting. Did Reynolds build their own frames or were they bought in? (Thanks to Biggs for his info posted after I started typing!) I would be a bit wary of the security of the down tube levers. Without a 'stud' of some sort on the downtube they could very easily slip. Looks late 60's/early 70's period to me or possibly slightly earlier? Nice machine.

I had the above confirmed by Kevin Sayles at Woodrup so it's reliable info for sure

Loads of other names have been mentioned but none have been confirmed

Thanks for all the info :), I'm still slightly undecided what to with it (re gears) a 5 speed time time trial bar end setup would mean that (being realistic) I won't use it that much (yeah, yeah, i know !), also the angles seems a bit slack and it looks like it would run pretty wide tyres, I've only ever had a couple of time trial bikes and both struggled to fit 23mm's (they always had 19 or 20mm) it also has mudguard eyes,
I might set it up with a benelux rod front and right hand bar end as I have both in the shed somewhere !
anyone know when builders stopped using grease nipples on bottom brackets, I always thought they went out with cotter pins

Re:

Looks to me no later than mid 60s in style. Very few frames then supplied with no mudguard mounting.

SA gears would have been laughed at on this.

Keith

Back