Holdsworth Frame Numbers

Good man :), sound choice and you will not be disappointed..... Said with just a twinge of jealousy. Let us know how it goes :)

Claud Butler Sierra 531

Serial # is 062595

Attachments

• Claud Butler Sierra 062595.jpg
    Claud Butler Sierra 062595.jpg
    228.7 KB · Views: 1,115
spitball":1tx2ioin said:
I have just boutgh a Holdsworth with frame number 015870 which makes the year 1978 I think. But, it's definately an 81. Can the numbering system be thay far out?
Looks like a definite factory produced Holdsworth Classic. (Not a Cronometro, as advertised by eBayer, as these were only made by Putney shop during earlier years and serial doesn't fit for a shop build.)

From Holdsworthy factory catalogues it seems unclear when the Classic model was first produced. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be any Holdsworthy catalogues available for 1979 or 1980 - at least from what's available on Kilgariff or VCC sites. Classic not seen until the 1981 catalogue and there is no mention of it being a new model for 1981. Hopefully someone out there has '79 and "80 catalogues packed away in their attic!

As you say number 15870 fits in circa 1978 according to Dave's present prediction. Looking at his range for that year (009301 to 016100) would place it as built in late 1978. So, considering missing catalogues, possibly prediction is only off by several one hundreds or conceivably your frame was indeed produced late in 1978 as a new 1979 model. ( as often done)

Expensive models as Classic sometimes lingered in a retail shop. Wonder, do you have info/documentation otherwise that this is a definite 1981?

Doug

CBguy":3aiyhqse said:
Expensive models as Classic sometimes lingered in a retail shop. Wonder, do you have info/documentation otherwise that this is a definite 1981?

Doug

I probably jumped the gun as I couldn't find any info prior to 1981, if we take these frame numbers to be resonably accurate then it has to be a 1979 frame, like you say it would be nice to find the 79-80 catalogues to see when it first appears, from what I have read it looks to have only been made for three years and was the top frame along with the Professional SL, I am just glad it wasn't the latter as it would have cost me a considerable amount more, it really is a cracking frame and I am over the moon with it, I should probably do a build thread thingy as I progress.

Phil

spitball":2q4o272d said:
I should probably do a build thread thingy as I progress.

Phil

Yarp, definitely....

PeachyPM":1bzhw4kb said:
You've got more than £32 worth of hardware there! And a really comfortable frame...Bargain! :D

A belated update to the orange Cadet subthread ...

I cleaned up the frame, but I haven't bothered to treat the rust — at the moment it's not a mechanical issue, and it kinda looks the part.

I swapped out the BB and found some old 700c fixie wheels in the shed. I had to invest in long-drop callipers to fit, as the supplied centre-pulls were adequate for 27-inch, but didn't have the drop for the smaller, modern wheelset. I re-laced the front wheel with a dynamo hub I had on the shelf and fitted B+M modern LED lighting front and rear.

I've kept the stem and bars — narrower than I'm used to, but I am getting to like them — but fitted modern Tektro levers, cables under the bar tape, as I like the hood shape.

New seat pin and re-leathered Brooks B17, with a Carradice hanging off it.

And some bottle cages mounted with classic-looking clamps.

A set of black mudguards and long mudflaps and it looks very "fast-touring", i.e. "audax".

I've ridden at least 1,000 miles on it over the winter and it is, as you said, really comfortable — the ride is steady and smooth, you can see the fork flexing as it soaks up the bumps. By the end of a longer ride (200km+ audax) the palms of my hands aren't anywhere near as sore or broken up as when I rode my alu frame + carbon fork Specialized Langster. And I find riding on the drops is something I can do for hours into a headwind, which really helps on a long ride!

So I am really happy with it :)

Re:

Picked this up yesterday, f&f numbers 27502 match, wanted to add it to the database :) so am guessing1960
Plan is to restore (in gold livery, can see some of the original colour in the tubes.
Any more information anyone can add?
22” frame, Agrati rear lugs, 531plain tubes (I think?), all straight, no tt dents, all the cable eyelets are there, overall rust free and well looked after by the previous owner (now in his 90’s!)

Attachments

• C4610BC4-1147-48A1-9B3E-429B2186A449.jpeg
    C4610BC4-1147-48A1-9B3E-429B2186A449.jpeg
    92.2 KB · Views: 599
  • A0255D8F-EF5D-4911-B2AF-739F5E1447C3.jpeg
    A0255D8F-EF5D-4911-B2AF-739F5E1447C3.jpeg
    63 KB · Views: 599
Thanks for the number, i'll add that. Yes based on current predictions around mid 1960 build, may not have got sold until end of that year.

Nice, thanks for that. Any other information I can track down? Looking to restore (repaint) and build up with period components so any pointers / sources welcome :)

Back