Council tips - mine's a load of rubbish

Xesh":2rxs04fb said:
one-eyed_jim":2rxs04fb said:
It might be that they're not allowed to let you take things away. Health and Safety has a lot to answer for.

It's not so much H&S, it's the law. Technically anything you throw in your bin still belongs to you. When the bin men take the rubbish away in their lorry they effectively take ownership of your rubbish. Strictly speaking anything in your local dump belongs either to the council or the company that owns the dump. That means that you could be prosecuted for theft for taking something from a dump without permission. Stupid but true! :shock:

Yep, thats what i was going to say. And of course they earn cash on scrap metal value.

how do you diplomatically offer cash without causing offence? i'd make a hash of it i'm pretty sure

"Will you sell it?" :LOL:

There is no rule, it all depends on the person the place what you trying to buy etc, but just be polite and smile will probably get you quite far.

It's easy at the main tip I go to 'cos anything half decent looking is put into the workers "stash" so it's just a case of telling them what you want. But yeah asking politely and being generally enthusiastic about what you want always works for me. Even got a wee freebie now and then with this approach. :D

In Devon they have proper resales areas at the main recycling centres. It's big business, very organised They usually want £15 for complete (crappy) bikes. Trouble is I reckon the best stuff gets pulled for ebay or something as I hardly ever find any decent stuff. I fantasise about something ti not being recognised & me picking it up for £15.

The main one in Exeter is a scam. All the 'good' stuff dispapears off to Fagins.

The quieter on near Exeter is much nicer.

My friend is very happy with his £6.50 Emelle hybrid with full exage and araya rims.

Back