First production mtbs in England ?

Muddy Fox girls

Yetiman":th1npb9f said:
1983 / 84 was when myself and some friends starting buying MTB's. 2 of us bought Raleigh Maverick 15 speeds, one bought a Falcon Everest and another bought a Muddy Fox but not a Courier. It might have been called a Pathfinder :? . I didn't recall seeing MTB's for sale in the UK before '83 but I was only 13 and only really aware of what the local bike shop had in stock.
I remember the Muddy Fox girls but dont remember the bikes. Does anyone remember if you could get Ritchey in the UK in the 80s.Tom Ritcheyhe first Master Frame builder totake Mountain Bikes to the bigtime . I won a 1000 dollars in a lottery in 1986 and went right out and bought a Ritchey Ultra man was I a happy guy, I think I paid 1600 hundred for it and it weighed 26 pounds.

Don't forget David Wrath-Sharman's Highpath bikes being built in the very early 80's with it's origins in the late 70s. Admittedly they weren't US mountainbikes with loads of gears and canti brakes (drum brakes IIRC), but they were true ATBs and really classy to boot!

Raleigh Maverick

pete_mcc":3nrulw99 said:
Don't forget David Wrath-Sharman's Highpath bikes being built in the very early 80's with it's origins in the late 70s. Admittedly they weren't US mountainbikes with loads of gears and canti brakes (drum brakes IIRC), but they were true ATBs and really classy to boot!
I was doing a little research and found this with some Raleigh archives " Eventually, Yvonne Rix persuaded the Raleigh board that a move into mountain bike production made sense. In spring 1985, Raleigh launched Maverick, its first range of MTBs. Offered in 5, 15 and 18-speed versions, it was built using traditional Raleigh roadster-style brazing. However, initial sales were disappointing. The MTB market in the UK remained relatively small, with few domestic players and no meaningful presence yet from American or Taiwanese companies."

Re: Raleigh Maverick

Ken McGinn":1vt77i8d said:
pete_mcc":1vt77i8d said:
I was doing a little research and found this with some Raleigh archives " Eventually, Yvonne Rix persuaded the Raleigh board that a move into mountain bike production made sense. In spring 1985, Raleigh launched Maverick, its first range of MTBs. Offered in 5, 15 and 18-speed versions, it was built using traditional Raleigh roadster-style brazing. However, initial sales were disappointing. The MTB market in the UK remained relatively small, with few domestic players and no meaningful presence yet from American or Taiwanese companies."
" 1983 was the year mountain bikes arrived in the UK, with a more sporting image and glamorous Californian pedigree. " From the Cleland Bikes web site. Geoff Apps designed off - road bicycles in the earley 70s and worked with Leland to have a few produced, they were welded by English Cycles and the first was called the Range Rider. I guess the 1985 Raleigh Maverick is the first homegrown mtb in England.

The History of Mountain Biking in Britain - (The Pioneers)

The History of Mountain Biking in Britain - (The Early Pioneers)
This History is periodically updated as new and verifiable information is received.

Last updated: 18/December/2009
This information is based on detailed research and is mostly based on published and verifiable resources. However, many of the events referred to were not documented at the time, but some years later. Many of the exact dates are not known.

Early 20th Century -'Pass Storming':
Serious off road cycling started in Britain in the early 20th century with the activity of 'Pass Storming'. This involved riding a bicycle to a mountainous area, then riding, or carrying the bike over a high and unpaved, mountain pass. This activity eventually led to the formation of The Rough Stuff Fellowship in 1955, an organisation for cyclists who liked to wander from the beaten track.

1955 onwards The Rough Stuff Fellowship used a variety of existing bike designs and some modifications were made to improve performance. There is evidence that a few custom built frames were made and fitted with suitable components i.e: alpine gears, cantilever brakes etc. The idea was to, whenever possible, get off the roads and cycle along lanes and byways. If the going got tough the riders would simply get off and walk.

Which were the first ‘Mountain Bikes’ to be designed and made in Britain?
There is little doubt that the Geoff Apps designed Range Rider were the first ‘Mountain Bikes’ to be made in Britain. These were designed without any knowledge of the American bikes and so should be considered as a separate lineage of off-road bike. The first prototype was made in 1968 based on a Raleigh Explorer frame. Experiments using a variety of road bike framesets continued throughout the 1970s. His bikes mostly used 2 inch wide, 650b, knobbly snow tyres from Finland. His first Range Rider bikes, using a custom designed (un-braced) framesets were designed in 1978) I believe the frames where made by Dee's Cycles of Amersham in 1979. These bikes had all the features of the Mountain bike, though their design was arrived at independently. I believe that these bikes were the first British made Mountain Bikes. (One version had drum brakes another rim brakes).
Later versions of these were sold by Cleland Cycles (Geoff’s own company), English Cycles, and Highpath Engineering over the next ten years. They were built to order and as far as I know never mass produced. In October 1981 Nick Crane rode a third generation Range Rider prototype up Snowdon.

The above bikes were designed as if getting off and walking was a criminal offence. Geoff Apps was also a trials motorbike rider. They were designed completely for off-road use. They are the tractors of the Mountain Bike world, tall, functional and reliable.

http://www.james-walters.net/cleland/cl ... story.html

Who made the first American style Mountain Bike in Britain?(1981) A US style Mountain Bike was made by
Chas Roberts at the request of an American customer.
Amateur frame builder Tony Oliver also made himself one which he exibited at the 1981 York Cycle Show.

Who brought the first American style Mountain Bike into Britain? (1978) Journalist Richard Grant brought over a 1st generation Gary Fisher built ‘clunker’. He exhibited this bike at the 1978 Olympia cycle show.

By the end of 1982 American built Ritchey's were being brought into England. I remember it being received wisdom that Norman Hiller of Covent Garden Cycles brought over the first purpose built US Mountain Bike, an early Tom Ritchey built Bike. Others claim that either Journalist Richard Grant or Richard Ballantine brought across the first Ritchey's from the States. Richard Ballantine's two bikes brought over for a Saharan expedition were the inspiration London bike shop, F.W. Evans Cycles, to design a Mountain Bike that became the F.W. Evans ATB, Saracen ATB. Both bikes were identical, apart from the first being usually painted silver and the latter being painted black or red. In July 1984 I hired a black F.W. Evans ATB from Kingston Cycles, its frame number was 001.

Which was the first Mountain Bike mass-produced in Britain? Raleigh Bomber? 1981 (I don’t think so). They were American style Beach Cruisers. Only three speed hub gears, caliper brakes and small frame/seat Designed for teenagers who were outgrowing their BMX bikes.

Early 1984 F.W. Evans ATB/Saracen ATB? (Manufactured by Bluemels).
In 1982/3, Richard Ballantine asked London bike shop F.W. Evans Cycles to build up two Ritchey frames he had brought from the U.S. for Tim Gartside's and Peter Murphy's ,February 1983, Saharan expedition. Evans were curios and persuaded Bluemels to build some bikes based on what they had seen. The resulting F.W. Evans ATBs were mostly silver and branded under the shops own marque. The Bluemels’ own Saracens bikes were identical, apart from being painted black.

The other early British made mountain bikes include was the Dawes Ranger and Bob Jackson's Col Climber model.

As for the Raleigh Maverick, I remember these as being surprisingly late to the party. The earliest contemporary reference I can find is October 1985. And were "made in Japan", and so don’t qualify as British. British made versions were eventually mass produced at a later date?

Which was the first mass-produced Mountain Bike imported into Britain?I am not sure about this but the Freewheel, mail order catalogue, included far east made Ridgeback bikes from 1883 onwards. The first that I personally saw were Ritchey Montares in late Late1983, though many other models had arrived by mid 84.

LINKS:

Geoff Apps has recently been nominated for induction to the Mountain Bike Hall of Fame:
www.completesite.com/mbhof/page.cfm?pag ... mberid=209

Cleland Cycles website:
http://www.james-walters.net/cleland/cl ... story.html

Mountain Bike Hall of Fame UK History section:
www.mtnbikehalloffame.com/page.cfm?pageid=13665

Re: The History of Mountain Biking in Britain - (The Pioneee

GrahamJohnWallace":1ckpgrs4 said:
Does anybody have further memories or information?

:eek: That's pretty comprehensive!

I was going to add the Tushingham B52 which was aroung 86 / 87 IIRC.

That was the first "proper" "ATB" I saw in the metal.

The Crane brothers had a couple of Ritcheys, which they took to the Sahara around 1982.

Richard Ballantine had a Ritchey in 1982, which he featured on the cover of Bicycle magazine in early 1983.

Attachments

• Bicycle_magazine_83.jpg
    Bicycle_magazine_83.jpg
    155.6 KB · Views: 1,982
Rewriting History

Thanks. I will use any new info to add detail or correct my history in an attempt to make it as definitive as possible.

I attach my evidence that the Raleigh Maverick was made in Japan. No one seemed to disagree with this at the time. Does anyone have evidence that it may have been made in Britain?

Attachments

• Maverick2.jpg
    Maverick2.jpg
    174.1 KB · Views: 1,968
Back