Following fashion

davidj

Senior Retro Guru
Being a self confessed Orange fanboy I find myself dreaming about the Clockwork 137S.

For non fanboys this is a slacker and longer travel version of the existing Clockwork, heading more towards the Crush/P7.

I don't ride difficult terrain, I just like mountain bikes (especially Orange). Will a slack head tube make my usual bike path/road/easy trail rides less enjoyable due to slow responding steering?

There must have been a reason for steeper head tubes and my current Clockwork(s) are fine as they are, but - you know - newer - better - etc!

Take a test ride....yes whatever! Not as easy as it sounds. Usually I just buy (used) and if it doesn't fit sell it on but slack head tubes make me think they are only good for going downhill on rough terrain. Am I wasting time and money chasing a fashion that does not suit my riding?

There are a lot of Orange riders using these for easy trails like you describe instead of their full sussers. I enjoyed riding my 2006 P7, currently being rebuilt onto a 2010 frame, on such stuff. Much slacker than my old P7's but not as hard core as the latest ones.

It depends how much the nuances of frame geometry bother or affect you I guess. Me not so much although my Five in locked out mode wouldn't be my 1st choice for a tow path!

These nuances must affect a lot of folk given the range of different bike categories there are now. Still trying to get my head around gravel bikes having used P7's from trail centres through commuting, forest tracks, bike packing etc.

Thought occured to be riding home on the old style geometry P7 - non of my flat or uphill PB's achieved on my modern P7 still stand. The old one is more nimble. Not because I've been trying - it just is.

rwm1962":kan93m2c said:
Thought occured to be riding home on the old style geometry P7 - non of my flat or uphill PB's achieved on my modern P7 still stand. The old one is more nimble. Not because I've been trying - it just is.

That is my concern, I love pushing my limits on my mountain bike on "not Mountains"! Perhaps my bikes should stay more roadbike geometry than the current trend of slack downhill.

You can still push the limits - you'll just likely be a tad slower. I'll still ride my modern P7 to work & on tame trails from time to time - just for grins.

That said my 2011 is a different beast again to the current one.

Latest posts

Back