WTD: Short cranks

RickTheUncivil

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
Hi all.
I'm after a double or triple crankset / chainset with shorter arms, 155, 160 or 165mm probably OK.
Ideally with rings but without OK.
Matching BB might be useful too if possible.

Used is fine but must be in good order

Cheers! :D

Have you tried Spa Cycles? Their XD cranks are excellent (have bought several 160s for the kids over the years) - and only £25.

Re:

If you want early period correct, you can get a 175mm XT M730 converted into 155mm but its not cheap.

hamster":1cflm8ov said:
Have you tried Spa Cycles? Their XD cranks are excellent (have bought several 160s for the kids over the years) - and only £25.

That, my friend, looks like it might just be the ticket. Many thanks for the pointer :D

I suppose the question I should ask is - compared to a commonly available 170mm crank of which I have some, a 160mm could be expected to shorten the reach by a staggering 10mm.

Is that really going to make a difference? Fat pedals like tripletraps would make up most of the difference on that. and there is no way if a 170/175mm crank is OK for me that a 160mm is going to be right for someone barely a metre tall.

Not sure on the ergonomics of it all - I'm off to do some research - but I suspect I should be looking for something more like 150mm or even less than that perhaps for my youngun, which are not at all common. Well, not if you want something not made of pig iron off a hellfrauds megablast.

Anyone got any leads?

So I find a few options for shorter cranks with a square taper fitting, but not a lot with a thru BB for under a squillion pounds. These seem to offer a respectable weight saving, anyone know of a good supply?

And yes, I appreciate I'm asking a site dedicated to the older formats for advice on a more modern format :D

RickTheUncivil":31zcpvjq said:
Is that really going to make a difference?
Yes, significant. I'm a more normal 175cm with a 83cm inseam, going from 170 to 165 was far better.

RickTheUncivil":31zcpvjq said:
Fat pedals like tripletraps would make up most of the difference on that.
Nope, they'd make exactly no difference at all. The crank length fixes the circle size, pedals just give the whole thing an offset.

RickTheUncivil":z5eltakf said:
So I find a few options for shorter cranks with a square taper fitting, but not a lot with a thru BB for under a squillion pounds. These seem to offer a respectable weight saving, anyone know of a good supply?

And yes, I appreciate I'm asking a site dedicated to the older formats for advice on a more modern format :D
*most* modern 2 piece cranks start at 165, i did spot a SRAM one that was available in ~155 a couple of weeks ago, i'll see if i can find it again.

And no, you aren't going to find anything 2 piece for much less than 100 quid, i've just bought an XT 165 1x crank, no rings for 100 quid........ cheapest i've found. Anything further down the range doesn't tend to come in anything other than 170 and 175.

Back