Did I dream this..... (V vs Canti levers)

Tricky1977

Marin Fan
Feedback
View
Did I dream that some brake levers can be switched from V to Canti (direct vs the other type of pull) - I cant find any reference to it now but I’m sure the Avid SD ones can be using the speed dial knob. Even the instructions don’t mention it.

Am I mad?

The Avid SD Ultimate with the v-chip works with both.

Thanks.
According to the Avid forum it doesn’t work terribly well And id be better off with the right levers :/

Re:

What about these type of shimano levers? Isn't that sort of the point, to select long or short pull?

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    3.8 KB · Views: 900
I have a setup of Avid Speed Dial 7 and Shortys on my commuter bike. With the lever dialed in as far as they can go they're fine for a 7km commute mostly on very quiet roads or cycle paths. I wouldn't want to rely on them for an emergency stop, though, and for that reason I equally wouldn't rely on them offroad.

I originally built the commuter with linear pull levers, which worked just about ok in the dry but was horrible in the wet. The Speed Dial levers have improved braking a fair bit, but it's not great. I now have a set of Magura HS33s which I'll fit this weekend.

Cheers,
Gareth.

Re: Re:

RickTheUncivil":q082t67r said:
What about these type of shimano levers? Isn't that sort of the point, to select long or short pull?
Send the internet can’t decide whether this switch was just to change the rate of braking force applied or if for V/Canti

However shimano do make one the BL-IM60:

Attachments

• 3B1B4AED-498F-4378-9E3E-DAFF999C6D57.jpeg
    3B1B4AED-498F-4378-9E3E-DAFF999C6D57.jpeg
    70.2 KB · Views: 895
Re: Re:

RickTheUncivil":1ff3zp4z said:

Those don't work properly with cantilever brakes, or road calipers for that matter. I've tried them with both!

I've used some adjustable pull Dia Compes of a similar design to the BL-IM60s which were OK with cantis. They were called something like 7 EXA Power Control...

Generally IME it's best to stick to levers designed for one system or another.

Back