Carrera frames

Giant makes most of modern frames , that is why they can use the Spe patent on the four linkage point .

Merida did try to sue Spe for the Epic . so i dont think they make their frames .

mikee":fbrudrvd said:
"All current Konas are made in Taiwan hence the made in Taiwan"

sorry to disillusion you mate but all the kona coilers/hannaha's & a fire
mountain in my local halfords have "made in korea " labels on them

the same labels as stuck to the caldera i've just sold

Well I can't really comment on the bikes in the UK, but all the Aust ones I've seen of late still have made in Taiwan on them.

At the end of the day Daewoo make sub assemblies for Boeing. :shock:

I have worked on 'Dutch' built tugs which were only fitted out in the Netherlands, the hulls were built in Poland (very well I may add), now Damen are building tugs in Vietnam too. www.damen.nl

It is a VERY small world, tbh I'd rather my bike was welded by a good Oriental than a bad Occidental and vice-versa! :LOL:

You would be very suprised what comes out of Taiwan.
I have had a couple of Business trips to Taipai to source products at trade fairs and the quality and quantity is amazing. Most major manufacturers I would say source at least part of their inventory in Taiwan, and Taiwan in turn acts as a gateway for western companies to easily source from China (although the quality is not as good as Taiwan in most cases)

Hiya,

Think the Saracen 'Handbuilt in England' thing refered to the assembly of the bikes here, guess its a different statement to 'Handmade....'.
Remember a mechanic in one of the local shops said that when Saracen first bought in frames from Taiwan, they had to bend the real triangle back into allignment on half of em! lol!

Guess it shows how times change, remember a lecturer at uni using the Taiwan bike industry as an example of how far east countrys often learn very quickly how to do something very well.

Personally I think its all part of reinforcement of the global economy and you ignore it at your peril!

apparently the taiwaneese make the best bike stuff today
see no reason to doubt this.

respect to the taiwaneese

interesting thread.

I dont think its worth worrying about where it was made nowadays, so long as its built to the designers spec.

bikes are pretty small fry in the world of same sourced manufacturing i would imagine

Lambo now use std parts from the VW parts bin. along with audi, seat, skoda....etc etc. even the car companies that arent linked are using licensed technology form all over the shop. and isnt it Renault that own 40 odd % of Nissan....

its all a load of bollocks at the end of the day :LOL: just dont beleive the hype.

Absolutely. One of my friends is lucky enough to work for a cycle company in California. Though the bikes are designed in the States, they are made in Taiwan. The US designers regularly visit the Taiwanese factories to make sure that strict standards are followed and manufacturing processes are top notch :)

I'd rather ride a well designed Taiwanese bike than a bike built in the UK/US to a shoddy design.

Back