Re purposing Old Hi Fi project

Oh, can of compressed air will help with the cleaning too.
The cases on those decks are fairly easy to take off as well, that might get you access to the insides of the mechanism from the back. I've done a similar vintage Sony amp and CD player for my FiL, cleaned that with compressed air in a can and some electronics cleaner. (One of the ones with no oil/additives.)

mattr":20av6lyr said:
Oh, can of compressed air will help with the cleaning too.
The cases on those decks are fairly easy to take off as well, that might get you access to the insides of the mechanism from the back. I've done a similar vintage Sony amp and CD player for my FiL, cleaned that with compressed air in a can and some electronics cleaner. (One of the ones with no oil/additives.)

cheers matt. couldnt get the front off so went in from the top with rubbing fluid and quite a few cotton buds :eek:

1XFgmvz.jpg

r8PXdai.jpg

goCnIPn.jpg

4M790As.jpg

cant wait to get it all back together ... just need to find the amp :?

Ive acquired these finials. With a bit of work I could could use them as spikes. is it worth the effort making them fit the speaker stands? At this level will I see any improvement in sound. The stands are goiing on a wood laminate floor.

Attachments

• IMG_8793.JPG
    IMG_8793.JPG
    42 KB · Views: 2,976
Re:

Finally unearthed the AWOL amp :D and the new sideboard arrived. I did a trial fit of the components. the fit is snug :LOL:

i just need to drill holes for speaker cables and power leads to pass through.

YLYv35j.jpg

With door in place ... stealth :LOL:

xFDZNYX.jpg

I decided to paint the stands black...

icSoVIs.jpg

The stands are not pissed as the picture would suggest .. its just the perspective ;)

LZ2hjVO.jpg

Looks great... I've got a knackered one of those Kenwood amps in my shed! Nice to see you're rocking the minidiscs too... Does the tape deck actually work?

enc":1bnnjxzo said:
bluetomgold":1bnnjxzo said:
L... Does the tape deck actually work?

No :eek:
Just tried it with s tape. Worked fine last time I used it .. 20 years ago :LOL:

Gonna give these guys a call see if they can have a look ...
https://www.wilkinsons.tv

You're better off getting something else. Yamahas from the same era mostly still work... They sound better too.

Sony made some great stuff but their 90s tape decks weren't their best.

Hmm.. the Sony was a replacement for a Yamaha k340.. the control switches fell apart on that if I recall !! I'll give wilkinsons a call.. see what they say. If it' gonna be more expensive than I can pick one up on eBay I'll sack it off.

enc":26dtqzqp said:
Hmm.. the Sony was a replacement for a Yamaha k340.. the control switches fell apart on that if I recall !! I'll give wilkinsons a call.. see what they say. If it' gonna be more expensive than I can pick one up on eBay I'll sack it off.

My K340 just ran and ran... :|

Back