Council tips - mine's a load of rubbish

psyclone1976

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Excuse the pun but it's true - my local tip or 'Civic Amenity Site' (reading, Berkshire) is run by a bunch of knowheads. Went down there today to get rid of some items and say a lovely Road frame - fixed wheel, steel frame. Was nothing wrong with it. Asked if I could fish it out of the pile but got told that would be stealing. I persisted and tried to speak to the foreman but got the impression after about 10 mins that they were waiting for me to offer them some cash to be allowed to get it.

I can't see how sending it to the dump to be crashed is better for the environment than wasting energy to melt it down to prob become a CO2 producing car!!!!

.......rant over!!

It might be that they're not allowed to let you take things away. Health and Safety has a lot to answer for.

Back last century when I lived in Bath I was taking my recyclables in, and spotted a couple of bikes that looked too good to crush in the depths of the metals skip. I hopped in and dragged them out - a Moulton Mk3 and a mixte Raleigh with a lot of nice period parts. A chap came over and gave me a polite but stern talking to. I said "you're not going to make me put them back in now are you?" and he said he supposed now the damage was done he could look the other way. I tried to make a contribution to the workers' tea kitty, but it was politely refused. Against regulations.

It's really a shame.

one-eyed_jim":3twpnhoh said:
Health and Safety has a lot to answer for.

That's why i asked, was not about to jump in the skip, could have fished it our with a long pole but didn't have one handy.

Tip

psyclone1976 why dont you make like your pic and go all monkey on their asses, then pick it up, put it behind and across your shoulders and run like a cyclocrosser on steriods.
That will sort them :shock:

Only kidding, I dont condon violence or stealing, but it is a waste. As for them managing waste :LOL: managing the backhanders by the sound of it.

I believe in recycling thats why I ride Specialized M2 and M4, the tubing was made by Alcan/Duralcan and back home in OZ they recycle beer cans. So being a good Australian there is a high probability that my bikes were or are going to be beer cans. Circle of Life :LOL: :LOL:
Helps me sleep at night!

( Thats my story and I'm sticking to it) :D

I was thinking of blagging that my girlfriend skipped it by mistake and it was actually my frame and all I wanted to do was get it back. Not sure if it would have worked.

I happily offer them a few quid if there is something I see. They have a crap job, I believe in recycling and am happy to donate. Took some stuff down today that was not good enough for a charity shop, but was too good to skip and asked them if they wanted to put it to one side - good luck to them.

one-eyed_jim":lu5px84u said:
It might be that they're not allowed to let you take things away. Health and Safety has a lot to answer for.

It's not so much H&S, it's the law. Technically anything you throw in your bin still belongs to you. When the bin men take the rubbish away in their lorry they effectively take ownership of your rubbish. Strictly speaking anything in your local dump belongs either to the council or the company that owns the dump. That means that you could be prosecuted for theft for taking something from a dump without permission. Stupid but true! :shock:

Private run sites on contract with the council are best as they are easier to grease with cash.

Shant give all my secrets away though.

The guys at the tips in my area are more than happy to let you have whatever you want for a small donation and I do mean a small donation....early eighties dawes galaxy for 2 quid, "just give us enough for some tea bags".

Sounds like your guy's a jobsworth numpty...maybe you'd of had more luck on a different day with a different guy....don't give up hope yet :D

awaycaboose":257o3s6n said:
....early eighties dawes galaxy for 2 quid, "just give us enough for some tea bags"

After reading things like this I'll have to track down my local tip to see if there's anything there. :)

Back