1992 Orange Clockwork purple/orange fade

Re:

I had one in this colour, with Manitou 2's bought new from 2XS in the Witterings.

Re:

Wheels are sorted. Fresh grease and new balls in the hubs, trued up the rims and and new fitted a pair of Smokes. Couldn't see anything wrong with the old tubes, so reused them. Also decided to stick with the (very light) aftermarket skewers in the absence of anything better. The old (original) tyres are fine too apart from a few dangly threads on the sidewall... but if there's one thing that's going to make a difference to how this rides, then it's got to be rubber.

Made a half hearted attempt at polishing the seatpost. It's well scored so I'm assuming has been over tightened. Might have to have a look at the lugs on the frame. Maybe it's too small? The one in there is a 26.8... will have a look.

Attachments

• DSCF9803.jpg
    DSCF9803.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 529
  • DSCF9807.jpg
    DSCF9807.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 529
Re: Re:

brocklanders023":1bfcpoft said:
Wheels look well. :cool:

Seatpost is the correct size mate so maybe the seat tube needs a bit of sanding?

Cool. Was planning to clean it up with the half round file before I put the BB in.

Re:

Made a bit of progress today...cleaned up the inside of the seat tube with a file and opened up the ears a little...polished up the frame and forks...cleaned up the brakes...started assembling. Have so far resisted the urge to touch in the paintwork...I'm keeping the patina. Sealed BB is a big improvement - I'll stash the original along with the old tyres...

Attachments

• DSCF9864.jpg
    DSCF9864.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 444
  • DSCF9866.jpg
    DSCF9866.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 444
  • DSCF9870.jpg
    DSCF9870.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 444
  • DSCF9875.jpg
    DSCF9875.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 444
Getting there - everything apart from brakes and a few tweaks done. Was hoping to finish it today but I ran out of space in the shed and just got too cold in the back garden. Forecast looks good for Sunday so hopefully finish it off then...

I have drifted slightly from keeping it 100% original - in addition to the replacement BB I decided a to fit a new Tange headset. At £12 I couldn't see any reason not to replace the slightly notchy original, which was only a low-end steel Shimano one anyway. Also put some cheap Wellgo platform pedals on it as the original LX ones need a rebuild and I don't have the patience to do them right now...

Bike has had all the cables replaced, all bearings serviced and replaced as required, wheels trued and tensioned, fresh rubber and everything OCD cleaned. I can't wait to ride it, and am wondering whether I will show it mud over winter or wait 'til the weather improves. Welcome your thoughts on that one! Also... I'm just not sure I like the Velo saddle. It's not as comfy as a Flite, and I feel that black would look better. Plus I've got two spare Flites doing nothing...

Attachments

• DSCF9894.jpg
    DSCF9894.jpg
    164 KB · Views: 367
Back