buying a bike for a single part?

Re:

I've recently bought a frame from here as my next project. The seller had bought the complete bike just for the forks and has sold all of the rest of the bike to Retrobikers. So everybody wins. :D

Woz":2wuawwz4 said:
Think it's gone out of hand now.

Last week brought a bike just for the chain ring bolts. Frame is S and useless to me.

This week brought another bike for the 7 speed freehub to put on last weeks wheels which
were otherwise in tip-top condition. Frame is L / XL and useless to me.

My clear out is not progressing. New year resolution will be forsale ads here.

The S size frame is now cut in half. Front half going to the tip tomorrow.
The rear half is a new winter project to make a wheel truing stand. :facepalm:

Woz":ipbbxnqx said:
The rear half is a new winter project to make a wheel truing stand. :facepalm:
Been thinking about knocking one of these up myself, was thinking of using an old pair of forks, never thought about using rear end, good shout... :cool:

I'm the man who bought a GT STS and junked the main-frame to use the rear suspension from it. So afaic it's fine.

But it can turn out (very very) positive too...

I was restoring an early Merckx Professional and was looking for some panto levers to complete it. On a local site I almost accidentely found an older chap selling a totally neglected no-name bike... with panto Eddy Merckx levers. The guy only wanted to sell the complete bike (a 53 where I ride 56 so I knew it would be another useless frame that would end on my attic) but his price was OK and I really wanted those levers. When I arrived at his place, it seemed this no-name bike was in fact an early Merckx Professional too! Even a "signature" one of which the decals had been replaced over years by ones from a local bike shop. Apart from the levers it even had half a Campagnolo Super Record groupset on it so I didn't mind having to take the complete bike. ;-)

Back