31.8 seat post? Or shim?

ishaw

Gold Trader
GT Fan
Feedback
View
I bought a nice frame off here recently but it has a slightly obscure seat post size in 31.8. Anyone know where or Can recommend a good seat post in this size? I can only find Brompton ones, or others seemingly designed for folding bikes (which it isnt).

Ideally I was hoping for carbon, but would be happy enough with a decent lightweight black post.

I do have a 31.6 post, and also a 30.9. What do people think about swimming, and would I struggle to find a shim up to the odd 31.8 size?

I know I could go the coke can route, but I'd rather not bodge this as it's a titanium frame.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Re:

I've been having a similar issue today with a 28.0 seat tube and I have 25.4, 26.4 and loads of 27.2 seat posts :facepalm:

Probably your best bet is to find a shim to allow you to fit a common size seatpost, as in the above post.
I agree that whilst it may well work just fine the coke can shim method is not really the "done thing" for a Ti frame.

Re:

Thanks for the replies. I think a shim is the way to go, as has been said, and true to frames I already own, ti frames are often shimmed by design. Just need to find one thst rolls some standard size up to 31.8.

I've got a titanium Syncros in 31.8mm kicking around somewhere. It's 330mm, if memory serves. Drop me a PM if that's of any interest, and I'll have a rummage. Circa Y2K.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Re:

4 spares.

Attachments

• IMG_20181209_235746.jpg
    IMG_20181209_235746.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 480
  • IMG_20181209_235901.jpg
    IMG_20181209_235901.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 480
Back