USER; BADRONALD

If rules / regulations are introduced where would it stop? I tried opening an ebay seller account recently for our company (ive had my own ebay account for 7 years), well put it this way, it's been 2 weeks now and i still cannot sell anything. There have been so many protections introduced for the buyer making selling things so expensive and difficult, putting me right off. IMO i believe in individual choices through informed decisions, without getting too political, but there have been so many rules introduced generally since labour came in (nanny state :evil: )

Doesn't help you guys i know, i hope it all turns out ok :( nothing worse than being ripped off!

daj":8wshd2ps said:
But I cant see how the site can really change anything if someone is a bad trader thats it really?? I have 900+ posts but never sold anything ???

No it's not it. I am saying that you should of course use your judgment when buying on forums. You for example are a long standing member, obviously. If you were to sell something I wouldn't hesitate to buy from you because the likelihood is you are not about to dupe me.

I really don't understand some of the replies on here, basically they are advocating being duped/conned! There should be a system in place whereby members are afforded some security when it comes to purchasing from other members.

Bob Fossil":2mwt1qc2 said:
I really don't understand some of the replies on here, basically they are advocating being duped/conned! There should be a system in place whereby members are afforded some security when it comes to purchasing from other members.

No one is advocating being duped/conned, I think you are being silly here.

If you are not happy, dont buy here. Your choice.

gump":o0rh7qqo said:
Bob Fossil":o0rh7qqo said:
gump":o0rh7qqo said:
Sadly if someone wants to screw you, there is nothing we, or anyone can do about it. Buyer beware as always.

I don't think you would be so objective if it were you that had been stung, your attitude is no use.

This forum should be pro-active in taking measures to deal with con men/rip off merchants, whatever. It should not adopt a 'if you get screwed, tough attitude'

I may be wrong but it seems this kind of thing is not unusual on here.

This is common sense, no?

Bob. I think you will find that when your anger is calmed, there is very little that is possible and workable for one of the most active trading boards for retro goods.
I have been stung before. Now I am more careful. Not sure I appreciate your statement regarding my attitude.

We are proactive. We ban. We follow up complaints. We instigated the feedback forum. But we are not responsible for your actions.

You are also wrong - this kind of trading is unusual on here. There have been tens of thousands of sales. I think this is the third case of a significant issue.

Frankly, 32 posts down and becoming abusive is hardly appealing to my good nature or contributing positively to the site.

I think this is common sense, no?

Abusive? Don't be so sanctimonious. Are you threating to ban me? Thats really pro active isnt it? Ive had enough *goes off to kick the cat*

Bob Fossil":3pbzkj2y said:
Abusive? Don't be so sanctimonious. Are you threating to ban me? Thats really pro active isnt it? Ive had enough *goes off to kick the cat*

You want to read his post properly, mate. He never talked about banning you.

As the saying goes: caveat emptor.

Blimey this is getting messy .... No one is having a go Bob we fully understand that being ripped off isnt nice .... but blaming the site that is VERY much loved on here isnt going to help yourself??

the Mods work hard to help in such matters and I am sure will do but again they prob wont be as keen if people are blaming them in the first place??

Sorry, not your mate Bob ;)

Also, youre inferring things that are not implied. Will put this down to your understandable anger. Ban you? Hell no.

Honestly, I do not like these things happening. It is not what we want, but the reason the for sale forum is so active is because it is open to all.

Can't think of any other forum where there is any buyer protection - for good reason.
As a parallel, STW have no number of posts, no feedback forum, and no visible moderation. Essentially its free for all. We have more than that already while maintaining a workable board.

If I am unsure about a seller I will ask his address and phone number. If genuine, should be no reason why he/she wouldn't give it out. How do they want paying? What is the content of previous posts? Have they been on any rides before? Does he have a feeback thread? All clues.

In this instance, someone may have his address/phone number already. Give him a call - often its all thats needed. Call him again. and again. etc. Won't be long before that £20 whatever is worth it to stop the calls.
If you have his address, write to him. Lots. Go and say hello.
Is he on any other boards with same username? Does anyone have alternative mail addresses?

At the moment, he has not answered mails to several people. May be genuine reason for this, may not.

What about paying a yearly subscription to post threads in the for sale/wanted sections.

I pay a £10 subscription on various forums for this reason and don't mind at all.

It would go some way to deter fraudsters and also help in the upkeep of the forum.

Lights blue touch paper and retires to a safe distance ;)

cjax":3lzrrpm3 said:
What about paying a yearly subscription to post threads in the for sale/wanted sections.

I pay a £10 subscription on various forums for this reason and don't mind at all.

It would go some way to deter fraudsters and also help in the upkeep of the forum.

Lights blue touch paper and retires to a safe distance ;)

That would cause all sorts of headaches for the site, as you are basically buying a service from RetroBike then.

I say no to minimum posts (I've been on the internet about as long as I've been biking, and on BBS's before the Internet was the www. )
It does not work, the people will spam up to 50 posts then dupe you.
A lot of people who want to sell also do not post much elsewhere, they may read posts and join in a bit, but at 1 post/week (weekend reading say) it's going to take a year before the goods get on to the market.
You will still get duped and given the rate it happens on here (i.e. few and far between) except due to the new found confidence of 50 posts you are already more trusting.

If you want additions to the phpBB board used here than places like the main website community forums http://www.phpbb.com/community/ for it or http://www.phpbbhacks.com/ are what you should look through

Back