Side wall repair?

tintin40

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
98+ BoTM Winner
Klein Fan
Feedback
View
Is there any way to repair the sidewall? Just noticed i can just about see the inner tube.
Thx

In the past I've stitched sidewalls or put in another tyre off-cut.

They last a bit longer, but ultimately they are for the bin.

Stones don't you just love them :twisted: Lucky my inner tubes are orange otherwise i wouldn't have seen the small slice. Perhaps a picture tomorrow?

Re:

Puncture repair patch on the inside, a proper "tyre boot", or a piece of old inner tube stuck in there will all work.

Depending on the size of the hole, a patch or bit of inner tube won't work. Too stretchy.

(The voice of bitter experience, and 2 hours of almost complete deafness)

Tyre boots, or bits of old sidewall (especially from high quality road tyres) works best.

Re:

In the old days there was a topic on this in the Mountain Bike Action, to always carry with you a 1-dollar bill to put behind the sidewall preventing the inner tube to sneak out.

Took me a while to get hold of a 1-dollar bill here in Holland though, but saved me a couple of times to get home.

So much for the anecdote though, I think you might be looking for a more sustainable solution...... :)

Re: Re:

DaveS2000":kpghmopx said:
In the old days there was a topic on this in the Mountain Bike Action, to always carry with you a 1-dollar bill to put behind the sidewall preventing the inner tube to sneak out.

Took me a while to get hold of a 1-dollar bill here in Holland though, but saved me a couple of times to get home.

So much for the anecdote though, I think you might be looking for a more sustainable solution...... :)

I've used a piece of cardboard in the past to get me home. It worked well. I have wondered if something like the material bags for life are made out of would make a good patch.

After looking at the problem in the light. Time for a new one. :twisted:
Thanks all. Will take some thing with me just in case it happens out on a ride.

tintin40":1o3uys92 said:

Well, before you bin it cut a section out of the side walls ;)

Woz":2x794555 said:
tintin40":2x794555 said:

Well, before you bin it cut a section out of the side walls ;)

Great minds :D

Back