How old were you?

Rich

Retrobike Rider
BoTM Winner
So, how old were you when you first hit the retro scene?

In 1990 I was 15 years old, saw a picture of Tim Davies on a Clockwork Orange on the front of MBUK and had to have one. Got a summer job down the beach in Bournemouth and by the end had a 1989 Deore Clockwork.

First race was the Birchwood Bash where I came 53rd :roll: , and it went on from there!

Cheers

Rich

I started riding in 1990/1991 . Rode till 1996 , then moved to this country . Stop riding till last year . Dcided it was time to get a new bike and could not afford any new model so started looking for bikes and equipment that i used to dream about a few years back .

Now I have got the bug .

justified & ancient

yd6szi.jpg

late 80s pic...sometime in 1990 a blue ringle seat QR was added

(that's a U brake on the front btw!)

Embarressing photo of moi...

Yep - in 1991 I was wearing this...

Taken in the Lake District. I was doing a MBUK mapped ride...

Still have the shorts and bike BTW

lol!!
Nice skewers! Part of the cheap but purple phase of parts.

Started riding in 1990 ish, had a few bikes, few races. Left bikes behind for a couple of years, started riding again with new stuff and disk brakes (wow!).
Only recently found some retro stuff and bought a retro bike, but all the memories are flooding back.

Still never ridden a FullSuss more than round a car park. Perhaps my rigid retroness prevents me giving them a fair trial?
Hell, rigid used to be good for downhill, trials, 4ft drops - everything. ;)

arse! that were me.

Jez, have you sold that Pace stem yet? :D Forgot about it with other stuff going on. No probs if so.

I started riding in 1990. My first MTB was a 21" Raleigh Mirage which was a gift for my 14th birthday. The bike still doesn't fit me :D

hahah - thats right - my British Eagle 18 speed Shimano Exage was a 23.5" frame. No sh*t.

What is it with parents and buying huge frames for their kids? I was 5'8" in those days and thats still an enormous frame. I ride an 18" now! Go figure!

Yeah and well spotted Gump - cheapo purple skewers! I went mad for them when they came out - 15 quid a set if I remember.

jez-2-many-bikes":38ery5fa said:
What is it with parents and buying huge frames for their kids? I was 5'8" in those days and thats still an enormous frame. I ride an 18" now! Go figure!

It was the style back then :LOL:
Think the problem was most of the old ma and pa bike shops didn't have a scooby doo about mountain bikes back then (and probably not now). I'd wanted a nice 18" Saracen from my local Noah's boat but sadly one of the local Raleigh emporiums sold my folks a nice 21" Mirage. "Room to grow into sir"
Still I had the last laugh. Because it was so big and I wasn't 100% in control of it I slammed it into a tree bending frame and fork within a year... :D

The first proper mountain bike I saw in the UK was a Raleigh Mustang, the god awful purple beast...if you could call it an MTB...think they called it an ATB...urgh :eek:

Rich

Back