Schwinn Paramount Series 90 - 1992

Re:

New cockpit layout. I ditched the bar ends as the reach is pretty far for me anyway. The levers look at different heights, but are the same - honest!

I've fitted a chain too, hopefully the rings will be OK.

Attachments

• Cockpit.jpg
    Cockpit.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 474
Re:

A visit to relatives in Dorset, via a detour to the tip :mrgreen: yielded this knackered old Trek. Although once a nice steed, the seat post was well and truly stuck - as evidenced by the scorch marks on the seat tube. However, the wheels were 'ok' a bit wobbly, with slightly notchy bearings and there were a few bits also that could be saved.

Attachments

• Trek_Bits.jpg
    Trek_Bits.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 443
  • Donor_Trek.jpg
    Donor_Trek.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 443
Re:

I compared the Suntour cantis I bought to the STX RC ones from the Trek.... My weight-weeny leaning over-rode my desire to keep it all Suntour, over 100 grams is a good weight saving.

Attachments

• STX_RC_Cantis.jpg
    STX_RC_Cantis.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 444
  • Suntour_Cantis.jpg
    Suntour_Cantis.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 444
Re:

Then, I thought I'd fit my new wheels and cantis and attempt a first ride........ but the front wheel felt 'funny' when fitted.

:shock:

I need some new forks now!

Attachments

• Fork_wear.jpg
    Fork_wear.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 443
Re:

I'm building a Trek exactly the same as that at the moment! Don't throw the frame, get some caustic soda on that post.

Re:

Jobs done:

Wheel bearings re-packed with grease
replaced cones in front wheel
Bought a set of forks
Replaced tyres - Fire XC Pro... from the tip!

I’m looking forward to riding this!

When I saw brake levers and suntour for £7 I knew you’d had the ones I put on eBay. Couldn’t sell em on here, too tatty I reckon, but they work perfectly well and were very light too.
Love a bit of suntour and the frame looks nice with that interesting chainstay.

Carl

Re:

It's ALIVE!!

23 lbs (no pedals). Yep, 23 lbs, I checked that on two different sets of scales as I didn't believe it was true! :mrgreen:

A nice set of Spinner forks arrived from CTK and with a bit of tinkering - voila, one posh winter hack. I rode it for 3 hours in nice dry, conditions :LOL:

I bumped into Steve Behr at the local bike shop whilst on the maiden voyage - he complemented me on my fine retro steed. :cool:

More to follow when I get a mo....

Attachments

• Mud_1.jpg
    Mud_1.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 284
Back