Holdsworth Frame Numbers Update

I would see this as 1952 from the number using current predictions. It was common to place the number on the dropouts at that time and I think you can actually see on buried in the paint in one of your pictures. Actually the frame number before yours in the excel file is clearly shown in the same place. I think it might be worth digging with screwdriver unless you want to preserve the paint.

As for model, I am feeling Whirlwind/Sirocco, but not totally sure, See history site. There are others on this forum that should be able to confirm.

http://www.nkilgariff.com/Models.htm

Joe_Ride
I'd place this as a c.1952 Tornado with what I would think are modified continental Ekla lugs. Pretty much same as frame 16503 on Dave's data base, although yours has somewhat different treatment of fluted top eyes and pump pegs placed on left and towards rear of seat tube as shown in Tornado catalogue page pirated from Kilgariff.
Doug

Attachments

• tornado.jpg
    tornado.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 859
Re:

Thanks Doug, it certainly looks about right from that catalogue scan.

Mine doesn't have a mech hanger, but it has a cable stop on the chainstay. Is it likely to have ran a detachable mech hanger, or could it have ran a sturmey-3?

It's single speed now with a flip-flop hub, and it will be staying that way anyway, but I'm just interested to know.

Joe

Glad Doug correctly ID the frame.

It does seem to be that you could have any of the avalaible RD fitted. I rode a Monsoon in the 70's and it had a Cyclo fitted that was not listed for that model. As I remeber it have no hanger and very few brase on's. My current Monsoon seems to have had the hanger removed. It's not clear from the pictures, but looks like it has been cut off, the cable stop is still there though.

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=351974
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=344599

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    25.4 KB · Views: 851
Re: frame numbers

i have just purchased 26256
not sure how post pics yet.
it has 531r stickers and lovely lugs.
missing the headtube badge though. :D

That number would be end of 1959 by our predictions, as we are tracking build dates this may not well have got sold until 1960, could well be made to that years specification. As I don't claim 100% accuracy, once you have got the pic and ID the frame I would expect it to be from around the end of the 50's

While you are sorting out pictures look at the info on the history site for those years

http://www.nkilgariff.com/

Re:

Love pages like this, I've just bought a frame number 40861. Will that likely be a 531? And is it any particular model?
Thanks in advance, Ian.

Thanks, from the number I would say is a factory frame from around 1974. With out pictures to tell any more. I suggest a look on the Holdsworth history site under models for that year and see what look close. Some pictures here would be good so I can log it.

http://www.nkilgariff.com/

Re:

I have just purchased a Holdsworth bicycle. It's very much a 'bitsa' - some original parts, and some more recent. I'm trying to date the frame. The bottom bracket is stamped 'Nervex' and it has the serial number 1203. That number also appears on the fork steer tube. It has fancy lugs and brazed on pump fittings, right side gear change fitting and a small wheeled guide for the gear cable. The drive side dropout has a derailleur fitting. The fork tube has no drillings for a head badge. Various photographs online would indicate that it is a Typhoon, but the serial number would be wrong for a late fifties frame. Also, I'm not sure that a late fifties frame would have the derailleur fitting. Any ideas?

Attachments

• IMG_20181121_164859643.jpg
    IMG_20181121_164859643.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 661
  • IMG_20181121_164852582.jpg
    IMG_20181121_164852582.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 661
I trust others would join in here, but for an opener I would go with early 60's then holdsworth were using 4 Digit numbers. Not sure of modle, but if you open the excel database and follow the links for frame numbers 2391, 1492 & 609 these seem to have the Nervex head lugs and no badge. #2391 looks the closest. not a lot on the history site for this period, trust other can add to this on the ID.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... TNKZkN4TmM

Back