Rockshox or tat...?

legrandefromage":11cud815 said:
so even though the fork legs and the crown match, even the colour underneath matches, you are saying no?

691851873_4_644x461_manitou-spyder-retro-mtb-sport-i-hobby.jpg

No, not at all. Just stating that the adjusters in the (orange) pic weren't the same. Was also then scanning the web for a pic of a pair of Manitou forks with the same shape fork legs in yellow to compare.
Then the pic of the grey forks appeared...

Re:

So do the adjusters relate to a spec level or model?
Or is it whatever was in the parts bin at the time?

Theres Spyder and Spyder R, couldnt tell you the differences, I havent had a set for a long time.

Certainly not tat but the poor paint threaded steerer limits their use a bit

Re:

Those manitou adjusters used to break for fun and were rubbish. May well have been replaced with what you have on there now? Hence the big cheeses photo with a different adjuster on it?

To be fair to LGF he’s Sherlock Holsmed the shlt outta this, and as EEF said. Not RockShox.

But as the OP question was RockShox or tat, and due to the ffck ugly colour. That makes them tat

What I don’t get though, is the “taking a chance” statement.

Taking a chance on what? That’s about £49.50 overpriced.

regan_ev":yx41fw6o said:
T

What I don’t get though, is the “taking a chance” statement.

Taking a chance on what? That’s about £49.50 overpriced.

I dunno, possibly to sell them on ?, which isnt as problem really. Certainly the way to get info on a subject you're unsure of is to contact those in the know.

Who knows, maybe he'll buy some of your tat too :LOL:

I'll check in later, I think i might have the instruction sheet for the spyder :? That would list internals which could be compared.

I seem to remember back in the day the only 2 forks that actually worked smoothly were the Manitou, and the Z series bomber 96 on :?

Hi Loola, That looks like a 1996 model Kona Cinder Cone, if I'm not mistaken. The Cinder Cones are fairly desirable because they were made from lighter tubing than the lower models and sat a decent way up the Kona range - they were a lot of money when a summer job at McDonald's paid £2.50 an hour.

The wheels, chainset, headset and seatpost all look original. The handlebars and stem are higher rise than it would have originally come with. It would look cool with basic set of flat bars IMO. The seat looks like it's from the late 90s, so pretty good for that bike. Brakes and rear mech look like late 90s upgrades too. The forks look like Manitou Spyder with (if it's possible) Rockshox Quadra 21R adjuster caps! Maybe this is because, as somebody has already said, the Spyder top caps used to break easily.

Manitou used to make drool-worthy forks but lost their way in the late 90s and made forks that looked 'budget' even though they worked OK. This, combined with the poor DIY paint job on your forks makes them look really tatty but they could be refurbed and on the plus side the elastomers all look intact. So... £50 for the whole bike? That's fair enough. I'd clean the fork internals really well, re-grease them, clean/lube/adjust the rest of the bike and go have fun on your new Kona.

Rich

Back