Cleaning parts

Timoth27

Senior Retro Guru
So I’ve moved a few bits around lately and I’ve ended up with a load of used parts (cranks/mechs/cassettes) that I would like to clean up and store or even move on. so I’m after recommendations for cleaning products/methods please.

Thanks

Tim.

Clean them as best you can. Dry them thoroughly. If they have moving parts, coat them in WD40 (it's a water dispersant not a cleaner). Never store them in anything plastic or bubble wrap as if they're not completely dry then you'll get moisture or condensation if stored in a shed or garage. Use old dry towels or tea towels to wrap them.

Re:

I use a citrus degreaser for oily parts such as cassettes and chainrings. Bucket of warm water to dilute it, a soaking and a toothbrush to get into the small crevices which seemed designed to attract and hold dirt.

Anything with a bearing I'd not touch with the stuff, unless I'm going for a deep clean and rebuild.

Dry everything thoroughly, as mentioned, gt85 helps get rid of the water.

Everything else I tend to use water and car cleaner.

To polish metal to a shine, peek works a treat, brasso is also helpful. Clean and wax afterwards.

PeterPerfect":3pgpkj7a said:
Clean them as best you can. Dry them thoroughly. If they have moving parts, coat them in WD40 (it's a water dispersant not a cleaner).

WD is an excellent cleaner ;)

i use Fenwicks FS-1 very good for those stubburn caked on parts. As i said though, WD works a treat a lot of the time. And like above, drying is a good call :)

mark

Re:

Also Fenwicks.
scrub the lumps off
Soak in fs1
Scrub, I use old toothbrush (not new, wife would kill me) as its great for getting in the corners
Once all clean lube up and store as described above. I tend to use card boxes so not sealed, and again I find wd or gt85 fine for a light coat of something to keep the moisture at bay.

I've cream tub, white spirit, paint brush, rubber gloves.

Just as a point of order, WD40 themselves advise their product can be used as a cleaner. Its a bit of a jack of all trades so isnt the best cleaner, but its high ckntent of Stoddard solvent makes it reasonable on grease and oil.

Re:

Triple QX Brake & clutch cleaner as a degreasant, £2.18 delivered from car parts4less.

Re:

Petrol from the mower re-fill can with a splash of clean engine oil ... cleans chains and cassettes after a wet muddy ride.

Also, after swilling the bike down, the front and rear mechs get a got scrub with same solution and then tea-toweled (old one of course my dear) dry ... the petrol evaporates leaving a thin film of oil in all the moving parts.

Sometimes the chain and cassette are cleaned and then left in some fresh mix off the bike until the next ride.. petrols gone and it's lubed and rust free.

Can also prevent low life riding your mount away, as they can't pedal it :LOL: :idea:

Back