Kona Hot 1997

Re:

Curiouser and curiouser;

If I'm keeping up with all this, we have now seen four examples of 1996 Stars 'n' Bars Hot frames with an HT prefix that precede the H096MM### format:
HT121
HT123
HT0192
HT209
.... And it's interesting to note that at least two of them appear to have Dropouts that precede the Goathead design, which was later replicated, and called New Drop.

Pip

Re: Kona Hot 1997 - 7th heaven

Indeed, this is getting ridiculous. You can add, not 1, but 2 to the Altitude Hot pile. I've contacted both owners for the SNs, the latter (frame only) I'm 100% certain is Altitude, the other I'm a little less certain but that's just down to the quality of the pictures and lack of detail. And both in red, the first time I've seen them in that single colour.

kH2aPy.jpg

cODs5v.jpg

JXew1k.jpg

r6KxKG.jpg

IZzZbt.jpg

I've managed to finally secure the right cassette thanks to this post: viewtopic.php?f=78&t=390591

That leaves the easy stuff: CK headset, grips, saddle, cables and pedals. I'm aiming for a November build...

And in slightly related news...I saw another 97 Kilauea SE :shock: :shock: :shock:

Re:

W :shock: W

Thank you for the information Al - crikey, I must say how much this all helps to keep the site interesting.

As you say (without a serial number) the frame only example appears to be an Altitude build, with investment cast dropouts. It has that same deep sheen to the paint and looks an identical colour and finish to my 1996 Ku.

Awaiting the serial numbers with anticipation.

Pip.

:cool: really nice Hot - interesting mono colour scheme - confusing what Kona was doing that year :shock:

beside that; have you noticed that the front cable stop on the toptube looks to be in a lower position then the rear cable stop - or is it the angle of the pic.:?:

magas":b78xl91g said:
.... beside that; have you noticed that the front cable stop on the toptube looks to be in a lower position then the rear cable stop - or is it the angle of the pic.:?:

I think you are correct Martin. My 1996 Ku has the same difference of alignment between the front and rear cable stops.

I don't have any pictures that demonstrate it very well, but you can probably see that the front is lower than the rear.

Kona Ku 280814_3 by Philip Mock, on Flickr

. by Philip Mock, on Flickr

. by Philip Mock, on Flickr

Pip

Could the two hots be the same frame? and is the red a match for the red used on the stars and bars? i assume the stars and bars rear paint is on top of the red paint? maybe they painted a few frames up in the single red and then had some painted up in the stars and bars, maybe intending to get the rest done if there was the demand?

Great finds and pics regardless :cool:

mark

Back