Kona's page

Anthony":1hti5g7w said:
ededwards":1hti5g7w said:
Some really good looking and thoughtfully put together bikes here. Without wanting to be overly negative, to me the bigger ones (20") don't look as nicely proportioned as the smaller ones.

I know that this is often true of larger frames but I think it is accentuated by the sloping top tube of the Kona and I'll add, surely to Gump's horror, that I think the same with Rocky Mountains - I will not expand further through fear for my life!
I hope Guy won't mind my stepping just a fraction outside his vision for his thread, as the attached photo doesn't belong to anyone on here. But just to illustrate EdEdwards' perceptive point, here is a Kona with almost no slope in its top tube, because it's in the rather rare size 23.

Although ironically, the owner has his seat quite low and has flipped his stem, so he could have achieved that riding position with a size 19 if he wanted to. He obviously likes a long top tube.

I'm pretty sure the gigantic bike pictured could be one of Barry Wicks' steeds (Kona pro Cyclocrosser) he's six foot four and would ride a largeish frame :D

Cheers
Stu

96 Kona Koa

Here's something a bit different to all those cindercones, lavadomes, and explosif's.

My 1996 Kona Koa - something of a rarity I think you'll agree. Happy to provide more details/background if people interested to hear. Photo taken quickly with my phone - I'll post some better ones soon.

Attachments

• 96 Kona Koa.jpg
    96 Kona Koa.jpg
    153.1 KB · Views: 4,934
Some lovely looking Konas up there. Never noticed this thread before but being a bit of a Kona fan I guess it'd be rude not to join in. Couple of retro(ish) builds here . . . (no longer mine though)

1998 Muni Mula (RIP) - over-accessorize?? Me??? ;)

yq8ih5.jpg

2001 Kilauea

y51ayk.jpg

1990 Fire Mountain

ypkarx.jpg

. . . and loads more up to date Konas here. Funnily enough I'm Konaless at the mo' - how'd that happen? :?

cinder cone

now built and used every day unless i drink to much red wine....
looking for a nice headset as its worn out KING GRIPNUT ??? say hello if your on birmingham cannals anytime
oh and i peeled the frame stickers off i know its wrong ... i love frames clean and plain
iallso have another cindercone in gold for the next project build if i ever find a headset to fit them :)

Attachments

• 3026685997_4dba710e09.jpg
    3026685997_4dba710e09.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 4,792
  • med.jpg
    med.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 4,770
  • med 2.jpg
    med 2.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 4,778
  • 3029364481_70b073b1cd.jpg
    3029364481_70b073b1cd.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 4,692
Kona 1990 convert to SS

I own a Kona Lavadome around 1990 from new. It's the yellow with splashed paint finish, and having looked at the website over the weekend I felt inspired to dust it off and start a conversion to single speed. The only problem is I live in China the place with millions of bike but little supply of decent components to do the conversion. So I looking for advice first of all as to what I need and secondly where I can order it all online for post to China.

Also want to know has anyone tried to do a conversion without the use of a tensioner, given that I'll probably put some slicks on I was thinking there would be enough clearance to get the tension with the need for a tensioner? If so can it then be a fully fixed hub?

Hope you can help.

Back