Awesome Foursome Part 2 Bontrager Ti Lite

Re: Re:

mheywoo1":2ww1y0l3 said:
It can’t have M950. That breaks the rule of “if frame hast rear brake hanger, ‘t shall be used”

I’m looking forward to riding this beauty. I’ve had a few Marin Team Ti’s from This era which rode well and a Saracen Kili ultra which I did not like at all. Far too bendy. I’m expecting this to be ace

I have a Rockshox RS1 crown on the way, to which I will fit my 1” threaded Ti steerer and my Custom made Lee Cooper rigid fork legs which will allow anything up to a-c of 430mm. I expect the sweet spot between sharp steering, aesthetics and a manageable seat to bar drop to be around 400 - 410mm. Anyone know if the geo if these was suspension corrected? And if so, to what length fork?

Cheers, Matt

Matt,

you build it how ever you like, you cant do it wrong, as long as it all works, thats the Bontrager mentality....

It didnt need glitz or glamour, a fancy race team or big budget swanky advertising with catchy slogans and funky names..., to win the hearts and minds...

Dependant on model year of the frame would depend how it was spec'd, we did sell them with the cable hanger and M950 spec back in the day, whilst we frown on it now, back then the braking performance increase was a revalation from the gods....

the Sandvik fabricated frames were still being sold under Treks ownership with M950 until the end here in the Uk, (could be wrong, it was a long time ago i guess..)

Keep up the good work mate, you got some cool going on round here for sure, and im signed in....

Attachments

• Ti Lite.jpg
    Ti Lite.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 307
  • BontragerWine.jpg
    BontragerWine.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 307
Matt, not relevant to your build of course, but an note of interest for those that may not know...

It could be suggested that Keith's Own V-Brake design predated that of even the Marinovative design that history has accredited with being the first V-Brake...
KBs design was developed to overcome the problems faced when developing the Kestrel Nitro Carbon full suspension bike..., Way back in 87 for the 88 model years show...

We had a pint together in a pub in San Francisco, i asked him about the V-Brake, he laughed and coolly replied, Carl i should have patented the design before shimano, i would be a rich man......smiling i replied, so it was the First V-brake...., ever so modestly he replied....."If you go back in History far enough, everything has been done before". (a statement i will never forget)

(i know most have seen the Nitro, but i know TINTIN loves his Trimbles, we all gotta love RockShox, and everybody should buy Bontrager a pint if they get a chance, without these fellas we wouldnt be riding the bikes we are today..)

The Ketrel Nitro.

Attachments

• kestrel.jpg
    kestrel.jpg
    202.4 KB · Views: 299
  • San Francisco Display of Mountain biking history--The Original Kestrel Nitro..jpg
    San Francisco Display of Mountain biking history--The Original Kestrel Nitro..jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 293
sinnerman":3s2b11r9 said:
Matt, not relevant to your build of course, but an note of interest for those that may not know...

It could be suggested that Keith's Own V-Brake design predated that of even the Marinovative design that history has accredited with being the first V-Brake...
KBs design was developed to overcome the problems faced when developing the Kestrel Nitro Carbon full suspension bike..., Way back in 87 for the 88 model years show...

Very interesting.....and yes look like V-brake to me. Why didn't KB challenge Shimano's patent?

Image6.jpg

Image7.jpg

Re:

Hey Carl,

No probs for adding this to my thread. I’ve read loads of your posts and all very interesting and informative. Your additions are making my threads better than if I just write them alone...

I’ve got WTB speedmasters for the Bonty. If they were good enough for (the rear of) Chips’ Fuquay, they are good enough for me.

When I first rode my first (candy red) Dekerf (DEK350- been on eBay for a while now from the person who bought it from me and added some modest parts) with M900 cantis and original pads I was surprised at how good they were. I think they can be set up pretty good. I do also recall rides back in the day in the Peaks and Shropshire in the wind and the rain being faced with a rocky and grassy descent and not feeling the same confidence with the LX’s fitted to my Pine Mountain though.

Hmm. Looks like we've been shopping at opposite ends of the 1996 Bontrager catalogue - I've just bought a rigid privateer.Wonder if the price differential is still the same :)

slackboy":3vms0kqp said:
Hmm. Looks like we've been shopping at opposite ends of the 1996 Bontrager catalogue - I've just bought a rigid privateer.Wonder if the price differential is still the same :)

I bid £920. When the small top-tube dent was revealed we agreed on £750. So unless the seller paid you to take it away, I’d say the price differential has reduced!

Love the Privateer btw. It’s a really usable, good value retro bike nowadays - and all the extra metal In the frame that made it cheaper back in the day has made it a more likely survivor of the ravages of rust than its lighter stablemates.

Re:

Looking ace with the Onza Pro Stem and Bonty Ti saddle. Thanks Jez,

Next step is the NOS M900 headset and the home brew rigid forks.

Attachments

• 55E2CF87-AF18-442E-A593-CC35A383BD4F.jpeg
    55E2CF87-AF18-442E-A593-CC35A383BD4F.jpeg
    90.2 KB · Views: 192
Back