Waterside decals

enc

Kona Fan
Anbody made up waterslide decals for front and rear mechs ? wondering if its possible or… worth the effort :(

Im wondering with a couple of coats of lacquer if it’d be durable ?

Anybodu done it ? pics ?

Yep used them.
I recon only use the cheap chinese paper from ebay, the expensive stuff I tried was rubbish. I tried three or four of the papers recomended among modelers as the best to use!

Use microsol/microset or decalfix. The first lot of waterslides I put on with just water, some of them fell off when touched!
use one of the products and they are well stuck on and very flat.
don't bother with an inkjet printer, they fade away.
Not done mechs but put them on frames, stems, bars and forks.
I didn't print images though, I did the artwork so it was all nice crisp prints.

integerspin":3hv0tyr3 said:
Yep used them.
I recon only use the cheap chinese paper from ebay, the expensive stuff I tried was rubbish. I tried three or four of the papers recomended among modelers as the best to use!

Use microsol/microset or decalfix. The first lot of waterslides I put on with just water, some of them fell off when touched!
I didn't print images though, I did the artwork so it was all nice crisp prints.
Excellent info there!
:cool:

integerspin":3m0yx07n said:
Yep used them.

nice one ;)

Good info there, one additional question though @ integerspin: You said not to bother with inkjet, you mean decal paper for inkjet printers? The alternative being paper for laser/copier?

I meant not to bother with inkjet printers. Unless someone has had success with them that is. I first heard of this waterslide paper when someone I know made copies of old yank speed shop stickers. He made some, stuck them on a car and they faded. So he spent a tidy sum on some archival ink. He said the prints were guaranteed not to fade for 100 years. A few months in the sun and the waterslides had started to fade;-)

I have no idea why he didn't buy a laser. I didn't have a colour printer, so I bought a ten quid laserjet1600 from the local paper to print them. As a test I left some paint coupons with waterslides on them where they get sun whenever it's sunny, after four years I can't see any fading.

Re:

OK that´s what I figured. Nah, no success with inkjet regarding UV stability. Even with premium photo papers, expensive special ink etc. I just did not know there were waterslide decals for laser. As with all home print solutions the only problem is that if the waterslide is transparent, you have poor coverage on light colors and obviously no white color.

I painted a lot of the decals and used waterslides for fine detail.
I bought a vinyl cutter to cut masks and I bought an ALPS printer.
The alps printer prints white, they seem to be used mainly by people into making
models for decals. But on the yahoo alps printer group the most common thing seemed
to be "I can't get the white to stick" so I flogged it. I will dig out a few examples.
This is a headstock logo, I painted it all except the black lines and the
blue flowers/dots. It hasn't been cleared over in this photo.

Attachments

• breezer-head1.jpg
    breezer-head1.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 262
Back