Tubeless set up problems - holes just won't seal.

Mijbil

Dirt Disciple
Hi all,

I've just converted one MTB to tubeless using brand new Conti tubeless ready tyres, and a Stan's conversion kit, on DT Swiss rims.

All looked good, until I noticed that the tyres were dropping to 10-20psi after each ride. A soapy water test revealed about 10 tiny holes on the tread, presumably little punctures, with a tiny stream of bubbles. In the photo you can see the stream of bubbles in the main tread. There are no leaks anywhere else, and I know it is these holes that are the problem, as their size makes sense that it takes about 24 hours for the tyres to deflate.

I kept rotating the tyres, added more sealant etc, ran them at 58psi to theoretically force the sealant in to the holes, but still air leaks out of the same little holes, they just won't seal. Even if I rotate the tyres so the hole is at the bottom, and theoretically all the sealant is sat above it, they just won't seal.

I've taken the tyres off and scrubbed the inner wall to get rid of any manufacture residue, but no change.

I've contacted Stan's and their only answer is that Contis are notoriously porous and take a while to seal. Its been 8 weeks.

I now have little confidence that if I get an actual puncture, it is going to seal. This is driving me mad!

Am I missing something, or does Stan's just not work with Conti tyres?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-10-05 at 09.43.06.jpg
    Screen Shot 2018-10-05 at 09.43.06.jpg
    224.5 KB · Views: 644
Re:

I’ve riden them about 10 times. They take about 24 hours to go down, so not noticeable on the ride itself.

Thats how i got my non-tubeless contis to seal. Took a few weeks.

How well did you shake the stans?

Re:

I Shook it loads and loads. These are tubeless coatis though, so they should seal. the holes are actually tiny little pinprick punctures as I can see the cut on the outside. The stuff just doesn't work. Ive had a look at the Conti instructions (thanks for pointing me that way) and the revo looks much thicker, and looks like it coats the inside more. The Stan's is just like milk.

meybe too cold to seal - try pumping up and parking inside your green house - that helped one of my bikes

Re:

I run stans in my conti tyres, no problems now - its usually the sidewalls that are leaky initially and have to be sealed by laying the wheel on its side on a bucket (so it sits flat) overnight.

Back