Lug and frame identification needed please.

Miscounted the digits so it does match Raleigh / Carlton frame number, re read the post and the bcm stamp is for Bocama. I really must pay more attention lol

Midlife":2qvkvg5q said:
Miscounted the digits so it does match Raleigh / Carlton frame number, re read the post and the bcm stamp is for Bocama. I really must pay more attention lol

No Probs.
Thanks for your interest and input. I am learning a lot from such knowledgeable members. Really interesting article on Oscar Egg.

allenh":afvoek88 said:
My instinct would be Raleigh / Carlton as well, the lugs looked very familiar and having had a look my Raleigh built Sun Super Snipe had them. That said though my Holdsworth Championship uses the same lugs and has similar treatment of the rear stays but the forks are totally different.

Hi allenh. My thoughts exactly about the forks. Who knows in its previous life it may have had bent forks and maybe they have been replaced with all chrome ones. I know Raleigh made chrome forks as before restoring my Cobra I spoke to a local bike shop who had a set stored up in the shops loft.

allenh":b3toegb0 said:
My instinct would be Raleigh / Carlton as well, the lugs looked very familiar and having had a look my Raleigh built Sun Super Snipe had them. That said though my Holdsworth Championship uses the same lugs and has similar treatment of the rear stays but the forks are totally different.

I agree the Holdsworth Championship had same lugs. Does the frame number structure tie in with a Holdworth?

Lackluster":16ba9qn4 said:
allenh":16ba9qn4 said:

I agree the Holdsworth Championship had same lugs. Does the frame number structure tie in with a Holdworth?

No I don't think so, although it does look a lot like a Holdsworth Championship frame wise I still think Raleigh/Carlton is much more likely. From memory an early 80's Raleigh Gran Sport had sloping crown chrome forks so they could well be original but the frame is quite different to yours. Either way it's a nice looking frame.

The frame is definitely a Carlton product having a Wxxxxxxxxxxx prefixed serial number. When you take the bike apart look down the headtube and check for filled holes. If there are three, a Raleigh, if there are two, it will be a Carlton. The forks look like an aftermarket change.

bertinjim":3eefqmqi said:
The frame is definitely a Carlton product having a Wxxxxxxxxxxx prefixed serial number. When you take the bike apart look down the headtube and check for filled holes. If there are three, a Raleigh, if there are two, it will be a Carlton. The forks look like an aftermarket change.

Thanks for the above. I take it you mean to examine the headtube to check where Carlton or Raleigh badges would have been? I will be stripping frame down in December when time permits. Thanks for your contribution bertinjim.

Frame still a bit of a mystery but now fully stripped down and cleaned see photos, but thinking maybe a 1978 Raleigh Competition GS although parts spec does not really confirm this as mostly SunTour fitted. Forks maybe fitted later, and no frame number on fork tube. BB frame number indicates a Worksop 78 build and the catalogue says that Bocama professional hand profiled lugs were fitted to the 78 Competition GS frame see photos. Intending to get the frame stripped and resprayed black with lug lining in silver before rebuilding in the New Year.

Attachments

• FA3F400A-1652-4D93-8D56-340301CE4389.jpeg
    FA3F400A-1652-4D93-8D56-340301CE4389.jpeg
    140.5 KB · Views: 920
  • 60745BD5-B983-43DE-B2F2-8E3F3D5B6B2E.jpeg
    60745BD5-B983-43DE-B2F2-8E3F3D5B6B2E.jpeg
    188.5 KB · Views: 920
  • 9F8DA71A-56B9-4DFF-A9D9-D955691E1B92.jpeg
    9F8DA71A-56B9-4DFF-A9D9-D955691E1B92.jpeg
    60.7 KB · Views: 920
Conservatories were built for winter builds... :xmas-big-grin:

PeachyPM":2a8myvjx said:
Conservatories were built for winter builds... :xmas-big-grin:

Better than the cold brick garage with no heating, although not sure my wife agrees with me, but ‘Hey Ho!’ I’m sure she will forgive me eventually. Maybeeeeeee!

Back