What do you hate seeing on a gorgeous retro bike?

Re:

retrobikeguy":22mwmto5 said:
Students doing deliveroo........ No respect for the classics :x

This! I spotted a dude in my work area delivering for one of these outfits on a very nice looking '89 Muddy Fox Aluminium Pro (the really cool all pink one).

Sadly he disappeared before I had a chance to discuss a rescue plan...

Re: Re:

mynchiboy":2j4myysx said:
retrobikeguy":2j4myysx said:

This! I spotted a dude in my work area delivering for one of these outfits on a very nice looking '89 Muddy Fox Aluminium Pro (the really cool all pink one).

Bike couriers helped make MFs popular and gave the Courier model its name.

Re:

regan_ev":u52wowtq said:
mynchiboy":u52wowtq said:
retrobikeguy":u52wowtq said:

Bike couriers helped make MFs popular and gave the Courier model its name.

I know - it was watching Streetwise that got me into this whole thing, back in the day! Big MF connection there, for those not in the know.

Those couriers were however whizzing around the city and west end at breakneck speed, laden with important mail and packages.. Not bimbling around Holloway with somebody's deep pan pizza in tow ;)

Re:

Vomit, blood, excrement of any sort. That's about it.

Oh, and pink paint, yellow paint, brown paint, people who are faster than me, people who are slower than me and blocking my way, knitted bike frame coverings (Why? Just why?), bar ends on riser bars, bar ends that are made of about as much metal as the handlebars they're attached to, full length mudguards, cheap MicroShift twist shifters (truly awful) even on modern bikes, saddles that point upwards, yellow saddles, and that really is about it. Don't care about period-correctness.

Oh, and dickheads. Nothing worse than a really nice bike with a complete dickhead perched on it - completely ruins it.

So, not too fussy really.

Re: Re:

CassidyAce":29qgzvdp said:
Vomit, blood, excrement of any sort. That's about it.

Oh, and pink paint, yellow paint, brown paint, people who are faster than me, people who are slower than me and blocking my way, knitted bike frame coverings (Why? Just why?), bar ends on riser bars, bar ends that are made of about as much metal as the handlebars they're attached to, full length mudguards, cheap MicroShift twist shifters (truly awful) even on modern bikes, saddles that point upwards, yellow saddles, and that really is about it. Don't care about period-correctness.

Oh, and dickheads. Nothing worse than a really nice bike with a complete dickhead perched on it - completely ruins it.

So, not too fussy really.
Next time give it some thought.

What gets me is the high end beauty thats been clearly stripped of anything of value and replaced with the cheapest possible modern drivetrain/finishing kit possible(usually on Gumtree).

Back