What are the rules for a Retro Bike? Genuine question

Tricky1977

Marin Fan
Feedback
View
I’m not trying to ignite a war here, but genuinely what constitutes a retro bike?
Is it the frame?
Does it need to be 90% retro or is only 100% enough?

For example, I have a 100% correct, factory fresh OE ride (bar the grips and inners)...

....but I’m also working on a project which will have some brand new bits, mixed with late 90s on a mid 90s frame.
Would this pass the test?
For example could I enter it in a BOTM?

Edit: Pic for context

Frame: 95
Rims/hubs: 98/99
Tyres: 92
Forks, stem, seat: unknown
Bars: est 92
Brakes: 93
Levers: “90’s”?
Mech: 2017
Shifters: 2018
Crank/BB, cassette: TBD, maybe new
Seatpost: unknown, but recent

Attachments

• 4EFC381A-D9D9-4D0D-9A9E-A08A4A9B25E1.jpeg
    4EFC381A-D9D9-4D0D-9A9E-A08A4A9B25E1.jpeg
    111.3 KB · Views: 333
Re:

Any old pile of shit will do :eek:

Unless you’re entering the bike of the month competition, in which case you’d need to read the rules, think there’s a “sticky” thread about that somewhere...

Re: Re:

jimo746":deodl3e8 said:
Any old pile of shit will do :eek:

Unless you’re entering the bike of the month competition, in which case you’d need to read the rules, think there’s a “sticky” thread about that somewhere...
Ah thanks - that was kind of my angle but it was also a general query.

Looking at my heap above it really is going to be a sack o’ sh** :LOL:

If it’s modded m/modified/uses modern parts it’s a retro-mod, is it not? Retro being the operative word if it’s based on a retro frame of whatever era 80s/early 90s/etc

But hanging some old tyres and barends on a 26er built in 2012 doesn’t constitute a retro bike. Not in the slightest. :LOL:

There are no rules.

The real challenge is what you're trying to acheive.

Most of my bikes are based on nostalgia; MY nostalgia. I really don't care what others think, but my aims (I think) are vaguely similar to most on here. If a nice 1993 frame has a complimentary mix of parts from 92-94 and a modern set of tyres, that's right up my street. Bikes are for being ridden. If a 95 frame is set up as a single speed, with all 2010 parts, that's fine too, but hardly retro.

If you try and impress everyone on here, you'll fail, 100%. I've seen people get funny about things that others think are utter perfection.

With that said, upto 1997 makes a lot of sense, as the early 90s were halcyon years for MTB. introduction of (often Shite) suspension. brakes that started to work. A massive change in riding styles, the development of new frame designs and materials. A huge part of the charm for me was the innovation of the period which really made mountain bikes what they are today.

My modest collection which only spans 2 years (93 & 94) sees the following;

rigid, hardtail and full sus.

Skinny steel, Monocoque carbon, lugged carbon, welded clamshell aluminium and huge diameter alu tube (non twin-triangle frame)

straight bladed rigid fork, upside down forks, carbon suspension fork, linkage fork

Hydraulic rim brakes, disk brakes, cantis.

Thumbshifters, Rapidfire, gripshift.

You get the idea. A lot of these were 'firsts' or very early incarnations.

The main parts being retro make it retro.
As above a Retro frame modernised is a Retro-Mod(tm)
A modern frame with old parts on is I guess a Mod-Retro, some can pull it off if the frame looks of the old style.

There is of course 1997 and before retro, and 1998 onwards retro (up to whenever you or the viewer thinks it is just modern-shite(tm) )

You can enter 'bike of the month' if it fulfils the few rules for that month. You can enter even if it doesn't of course, it probably will not make the poll.

Even within the <=1997 there are degrees of retro, I for one consider 1997 quite modern and hence my modern bike is a 1997 frame with new and period ish parts.
Then I have an old bike for a commuter from 1993 and then I have my RetroBikes.

Thanks guys!
I also have a nostalgic twinge around the early nineties, at the time MTBs were my obsession! MBUK, mint sauce, bike rides and above all everything Marin

The fact that I kept the bike that I purchased aged 15 and still ride it today (on the original tyres no less) - makes me very happy :)

I hope that my frankenbike Pug will fit the bill when it’s done, it’s nearly all second hand and 75% pre millennium. So it feels right to me

Back