Reg Harris

I remember Reg visiting me to sell his new line as a bike manufacturer, I think 1957.
At the time the cycle industry could not adapt to rapidly falling sales.
His bikes were low end sports, can't remember who made them, and completley unsuccessful. May be some information in a book he wrote.

He drove a TR4 at lunatic speeds.

Keith

Reg had a factory in Macclesfield where the bikes were produced. I say 'produced' because the frames may or may not have been built there. I picked one up a few years ago but it was nothing special and was sold on but he did list some 'top end' bikes in his adverts and brochures.

This was the head badge on it -

I seem to remember his adverts in 'Cycling' back in the 60's (possibly 70's?). It's surprising rthat there isn't anything about his bike business on Classic Lightweights website. Somebody must know something about it?

Attachments

• RegHarrisHeadBadge.1.A.jpg
    RegHarrisHeadBadge.1.A.jpg
    170.4 KB · Views: 693
Same headbadge as mine ! As you say not top end so not sure what I’m gonna do with it yes as still a nice bit of cycling history involved !!

Attachments

• 4CA3E0B0-8258-4F58-8E23-B94F345A5B8E.jpeg
    4CA3E0B0-8258-4F58-8E23-B94F345A5B8E.jpeg
    143.5 KB · Views: 691
Chrisfromglossop":ncqd1oxu said:
Same headbadge as mine ! As you say not top end so not sure what I’m gonna do with it yes as still a nice bit of cycling history involved !!
Well, the one I had wasn't but yours looks a bit better. Any tubing transfers on it? I see it has a cotterless crankset but that could have been fitted at any time I suppose. The cable stop eyes on the down tube could date it to mid 60's? What type of rear dropouts does it have? TBH, you don't see many around so for rarity value alone it is interesting especially in that condition.

I read that they only made them from 60-63 so guessing that period, no model decals just a name on top tube and RH on seat tube and Reg Harris logo on down tube. The story I got was that Reg presented it as a prize to someone himself but don’t know if true or not.

I remember seeing a new one parked up at some Youth Hostel we were staying at in the 60s. I can remember us being amazed how light it was. i remember his factory on the hill on the way into Macclesfield.
He is buried at a church where the club stops for afternoon tea sometimes. Modest gravestone with a bike carved on it. Died quite young. Bit of a womaniser in his day evidently.

I had one in the mid 60’s. Mine was an International in Florentine Silver/Venetian Red. It was stolen after just two weeks and I had to pay my father’s HP agreement back for two years after the loss. Police were informed, but never heard anything more. Wish i’d kept the frame number details.

Does anyone (of, shall we say, more advanced years) remember the road safety 'advert' on the BBC really far BITD? There was a lad riding along with his saddle way to high and his bars way to low and along comes another rider in plusses etc. and asks him who he is. Young lad says 'Reg Harris' and rider says 'That makes two of us then' and proceeds to assist young lad with his position. Next time you see him he's riding properly. I wonder if it's on Youtube or similar?

Back