Is my bike good enough?

Re:

We are going to Swinley Forest in Bracknell. Is that good?
Thanks for all the responses, it's very helpful.

Re:

For Swinley you'll be fine. Nothing very technical or hilly. Good fun and totally rideable on what you have.

You certainly don't need suspension for there. Nice and fast xc. It's not the best for signs as where to go. Nice hot chocolate from the cafe. And handy having a cycle shop for those emergency items. Also most of it stays dry till very late in to winter.

Re: Re:

Eggman":3nj3hinr said:
We are going to Swinley Forest in Bracknell. Is that good?
Thanks for all the responses, it's very helpful.

As said you don't need it. I ride Swinley a lot as it's only 15 mins from me.
I've ridden all the trails there on my Raleigh Team 531 (fully rigid), Claud Butler Anteaus 653 (Front Sus), Cube LTD Race 29er (front sus) and Kona Dawg (full sus).
I can tell you that apart from Red 2/3 and 14 which are quite rooty and 14 has a few drops the rigid is OK, you just have to go a bit slower on those trails so you can pick your lines. The Front Sus helps in these parts and is probably the fastest overall round the blue and red loops. The 26er has an advantage in the twisty sections (Red 20 and 21) where the 29er is cumbersome and hard work. The full sus is fastest over the roots and bumpy sections on blue and red as you can keep pedalling and also go a bit faster and harder.
You'll enjoy it all and it's fun going back and riding on all types of bike, just have fun and if you are spending all day there use your rigid and go back and hire one of the bike hub Marin's full sussers for a completely different experience.

https://www.swinleybikehub.com/hire#bikerange

Carl.

Re:

I see two scenarios:
1). Your mate entered MTB in the suspension era, thinks that’s what a mountain bike is, never owned a rigid MTB and is clueless how cabable they are.
2). He knows your bike is lighter and more efficient so he’s trying to slow you down by putting you on a 16kg full susser!
Rigids are great! Be eccentric and show up on something different! Do it your way! You’ll have a great time.

Re:

RadNomad, I think that you may have worked it out perfectly with your first scenario! ;)
My mate says that I'll be at a disadvantage due to the different riding position of older bikes; something about the frame being longer, and the rider not sitting upright. Is there any truth in this? I thought that it was just fashion!
I'm really looking forward to it. Your responses are extremely helpful.

Re:

He's talking pish. Geometry changes all the time and has recently gone back to long and low. What's he got? Sounds out of date if it's short and upright. ;)

Plenty of factors make a big difference over different terrain but much less over gentler rides. Going by what others have said about where your going to you shouldn't have much trouble keeping up. Yes, you'd be quicker on a decent 29" full suss but the hire bikes will probably be low spec hard tails with basic forks so not so much of an advantage.

Re: Re:

brocklanders023":1jg1cxfe said:
Yes, you'd be quicker on a decent 29" full suss but the hire bikes will probably be low spec hard tails with basic forks so not so much of an advantage.

Woah there Nelly. Let's be accurate:

brocklanders023":1jg1cxfe said:
You might be quicker on a decent 29" full suss.

And the hire bikes at Swinley are decent and well maintained.

Back