1959 Frederick Pratt - Long term Resto

My first thoughts were a minty green scheme with off white contrasts with lugs lined... other ideas come and go but I keep going back to light green. I'll have to see how far the budget will stretch when bike funds can be focused on this one!

Banashapan":15w7nlql said:
My first thoughts were a minty green scheme with off white contrasts with lugs lined... other ideas come and go but I keep going back to light green. I'll have to see how far the budget will stretch when bike funds can be focused on this one!

Good choice but I am biased on that one. I can vouch for it being suitably period looking and generally liked as that's the colours I did my Sid Mottram in and its just won RBoTM on here.

Attachments

• Sid 06s.jpg
    Sid 06s.jpg
    287.4 KB · Views: 941
Yup, a nice pale green flam :). I'm sure I came across a finisher who produces a replica of the old style finishes which are slightly less shiny than the modern clear coat. Argos, Vaz?

There are satin lacquers available but these then need to be well polished as they are too matt when applied.

allenh":3q5i025t said:
that's the colours I did my Sid Mottram in and its just won RBoTM on here.

Rightly so, looks great!

Interesting to hear about finishing to replicate the paint of the ol' days. Something I hadn't thought of so definitely something I'll be making enquiries about when it's time for serious paint talk... I had been thinking max gloss levels on this wouldn't be quite right. In the mean time I'll shortlist some greens!

Re:

Fresh parts Friday!

Picked up a couple of bits to add to the parts pile, 50s Bailey bend bars. Nice curves on these but a smaller clamp diameter than the stem, will make a shim to suit when I have time- may even get one 3D printed :cool: … there doesn't seem to be any off the shelf shims that will cover the sizes I'm working with!

Also picked up a Brooks saddle, I think an early Professional Narrow (mid 60s?), with a cut away nose. The cantle plate and rear leather has been trimmed. Nice age to the leather, only a hint of the logo remains.

Next on the list is finding a front brake, BB, seatpost, tyres and pedals- that should be it for the parts sourcing phase of the build :D

Small update time

It turns out the hubs I have won't do the job, I bought them some time before I got the frame and should have checked the spacing... both the hubs are too wide :facepalm: Even after attempting to respace them. Anyway, happened to find an interesting set of period hubs that are the exact measurements for the frame but they won't be with me for a couple of weeks yet. Will update when they arrive.

Pedals, toe clips, and brakes have been found. Also stripped the paint off the cranks and gave them a little polish...

Brampton B8 pedals purchased from Cheesedisease on here, now coupled with NOS Ashby toe clips. Will only be running a front brake, but bought pairs of GB Superhood levers and GB Synchron calipers- may swap the caliper out for something else, not sure yet.

Shiny stuff -

A pal of mine has just acquired an unknown make frame with very similar lug work to your Frederick Pratt and I wondered if he's found another one. Whereabouts is the frame number on yours?
Hope the rest of your project goes well, promises to be a stunner.
Regards
Shaun

Toecutter":17t8fkyp said:
A pal of mine has just acquired an unknown make frame with very similar lug work to your Frederick Pratt and I wondered if he's found another one. Whereabouts is the frame number on yours?
Hope the rest of your project goes well, promises to be a stunner.
Regards
Shaun

Thanks, Shaun! :D I'm trying to stay patient given the slow burn nature of this project...

Interesting to hear about your pal's recent acquisition. Maybe! They're not common machines and I'm convinced there's more to be found. Frame number is on the left track end/dropout and also on the steerer tube. Let me know how you get on!

Back