Help with Marin frame ID please?

Re:

Well after 3 hours of graft the BB is finally out, ended up having to butcher it out but thankfully the shell and threads are fine. Rubbed down with 800 then 1200 wet & dry and started to Autosol it but thats gonna take hella long time! Any ideas on seatpost size? I do wonder if the massive diameter seatpost explains the harsh ride, or is it just a trait of old Alloy frames? I think i'm gonna build it with some Magura Hydrostops that I have, Mag30s and XT thumbies and still deciding on the rest!

Any of you guys bought decals, if so where from? I know Gill will do them but wondered if there is anywhere else?

Re: Re:

TOMAS":2i06wqnz said:
Well after 3 hours of graft the BB is finally out, ended up having to butcher it out but thankfully the shell and threads are fine. Rubbed down with 800 then 1200 wet & dry and started to Autosol it but thats gonna take hella long time! Any ideas on seatpost size? I do wonder if the massive diameter seatpost explains the harsh ride, or is it just a trait of old Alloy frames? I think i'm gonna build it with some Magura Hydrostops that I have, Mag30s and XT thumbies and still deciding on the rest!

Any of you guys bought decals, if so where from? I know Gill will do them but wondered if there is anywhere else?

Got some calipers on the seattube now...

So ID is 31.6mm and OD is 34.9... now on with the build...

Re:

My seatpost is 31.4 bud!!

Got my decals from Gil but asked him to do the top tube stickers smaller than the ones suggested on his proof sheet. I have all the measurements if needed.

Good work on the bb removal.. now polish the life out of it.

PopsTrippin":3bbfryz0 said:

Got my decals from Gil but asked him to do the top tube stickers smaller than the ones suggested on his proof sheet. I have all the measurements if needed.

Is your seatpost stock/factory? Well I have a modern day carbon post and also modern day alloy, both 31.6... the alloy one is super snug fit but fits perfectly with no force, the carbon one feels a fraction too large and requires slight force to fit it. I'm on the hunt for an inline post from the 92-93 era to keep it all period.

Contacted Gil, he wants around £35.00 for the decal sheet which seems fair, what size have you gone for on the top tube stickers?

Cheers

Re:

Well thats enough of the polishing for now! Thinking of going for a polished/red theme for now. Excuse the dry mock-up. Hopefully picking up a red marin lite stem (however could look daft as i dont need the roller on it)...

Attachments

• 20180916_123107_resized.jpg
    20180916_123107_resized.jpg
    179.2 KB · Views: 155
  • 20180916_124435_resized.jpg
    20180916_124435_resized.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 155
Looks good already.
What about a Ritchey stem? Marin used a lot of Ritchey in the 90s (tires, headsets, rims)...
95 they did away with the roller but also the anodising too....

TOMAS":2wo4efie said:
PopsTrippin":2wo4efie said:

Is your seatpost stock/factory? Well I have a modern day carbon post and also modern day alloy, both 31.6... the alloy one is super snug fit but fits perfectly with no force, the carbon one feels a fraction too large and requires slight force to fit it. I'm on the hunt for an inline post from the 92-93 era to keep it all period.

Contacted Gil, he wants around £35.00 for the decal sheet which seems fair, what size have you gone for on the top tube stickers?

Cheers

92%20Rocky%20Ridge-1_zpsfr6evenl.jpg

This is what he corrected to mate.

£35 is not cheap for the decals but he is good so i keep using him.

With regard to the seatpost, it is actually the original from my '93 Indian Fire Trail and also fits my '95 IFT perfectly too, maybe all Marin aluminium seat tubes from that era are the same?

TOMAS":1z8wmtbd said:
Well thats enough of the polishing for now! Thinking of going for a polished/red theme for now. Excuse the dry mock-up. Hopefully picking up a red marin lite stem (however could look daft as i dont need the roller on it)...

That'd look the mutts nuts with red stickers!!

Just a thought but could it have started life as an Indian Fire Trail? Didn't they share a frame with the Rocky Ridge? Might explain some of the XT presence, if perhaps not all of it.

Could be an excuse to get a lovely green sticker kit instead... :)

Back