Headset cup removal headache

jimo746

Gold Trader
MacRetro Rider
Orange 🍊 Fan
Feedback
View
Trying to remove the old headset from a frame.
Tried my X-Tools headset removal tool with no joy.
The issue seems to be that the cups are flush with the inside of the headtube, so there's nothing for the removal tool to get purchase on.

The cup removal tool is for 1"1/8 headsets, so that may be the issue here, but I've used it on 1" headsets without problem in the past.
Can anyone recommend a 1" removal tool?

Pics might help explain....

Lower cup,..

Upper race cup, bit of a gap here, maybe a 1" removal tool would work on This?

Attachments

• 20180915_162525_001-597x1061.jpg
    20180915_162525_001-597x1061.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 379
  • 20180915_162630-597x1061.jpg
    20180915_162630-597x1061.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 379
i thought most were 1' and 1 1/8'.

I have a icetoolz one which does both, however one of the prongs is bent already and i havent used it that much, only noticed after removing a cup and damaging it, dont buy one of these!

when i buy another it will be a cyclus one, missed one for sale on here recently, they have reinforced ends so i assume its harder to deform. epensive though.

mark

Re:

You could try a thin blade between the cup and the frame in the outside. Work round and gently pry them apart. Similar to how you remove a crown race. If you have a crown race tool, even better.

Good luck.

Re:

Hmm... crown race tool. I could do with buying one of those anyway.

I don't want to get all gung go with this as the headtube is aluminium, I don't want to damage it or make life difficult for myself when it comes to fitting the new headset.

Re:

This Cyclus cup remover looks to have more pronounced stepped ends, think I need something like this to lodge in the small gap between headtube and headset cup.
The normal flared ends of my cup remover tool just won't catch on the headset cups.

Might end up making something out of copper pipe next week at work, seems to be a popular diy method.

Attachments

• 92625_02_d.jpg
    92625_02_d.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 334
I find that the one i have, as its thinner strips, doesnt spring out as much as it did when new after using it a few times. So if you spread the fan, whatever its called, out again the spring action when inserted will force the strips out more and shoud catch better, if that makes sense!?

mkone":1cxjfrbx said:
I find that the one i have, as its thinner strips, doesnt spring out as much as it did when new after using it a few times. So if you spread the fan, whatever its called, out again the spring action when inserted will force the strips out more and shoud catch better, if that makes sense!?

Thanks, I'll give that a go.
The PVC pipe didn't fare well. The copper pipe method didn't work out either .
I've read an old steel handlebar can be used, will give that a try as well.
Meantime I'm picking up a very long flat bladed screwdriver today.
One method is bound to work :LOL:

I was just about to suggest sacrificing and old screwdriver, putting a slight bend in the tip and rotating it around giving it a tap as you go....

I also have the tubes of an old alooominum frame that i use in the same way. The thinner stay tubes allow them to be angled to engage narrow lips like yours. Also good for allen key levers/handles

The down tube is great for tapping down a crown race !

Back