which brakes for an 80s rider?

If I was going to upgrade from 80's SLR I'd just put modern dual pivots on the bike - like those nutted Tektro mid reach brakes. In fact I'm toying with getting a set to upgrade my Ellis Briggs - I'm having trouble getting the old dura ace to brake half decently. Maybe another set of pads is called for.

For brakes of the day Modolo Prof with the sintered blocks gave the best stopping power some modern blocks & cables with the older calipers give better results than the original kit

dirttorpedo":7uyw1v4d said:
If I was going to upgrade from 80's SLR I'd just put modern dual pivots on the bike - like those nutted Tektro mid reach brakes. In fact I'm toying with getting a set to upgrade my Ellis Briggs - I'm having trouble getting the old dura ace to brake half decently. Maybe another set of pads is called for.

Before you change the brake blocks give them a good rub on the braking surface with a piece of course sandpaper as they can get a glaze on them.

Re:

I just built my brakes out of the bits that remained reliable/viable from two or three sets. One of my Modolos broke a spring. The thread on both pivot bolts disintegrated. One of my Shimano 600 stirrups developed a hairline crack at the brake block slot. So now I'm using Modolo stirrup arms on Shimano bolts and springs, with generic blocks. Campag levers with Modolo 919 anatomic hoods. I should've got two or three pairs of those hoods instead of one back in 2000 or whenever it was. I actually prefer the shape of the Modolo lever blade- flattened out near the tip- over the Campagnolo, but I don't have the Modolo levers any more. In every other dimensional particular I'd say the Modolo levers at/near the top of the range are faithful Campag copies, and equal quality. Mavic are rebadged Modolo. The Modolo sintered blocks are reputed to wear out rims pretty fast.

Re:

I had some modolos bitd and thought the sinterized blocks were crap. They were better than rubber blocks in heavy rain, but in every other scenario the rubber ones were better.

Re:

Best looking brakes from the 80s? A contender would be Campagnolo Chorus Monoplaner calipers - and they worked well, too.

Of course, if you have Shimano levers with them, you don't have a quick release, but this shouldn't be a problem, seeing as it's the 80s - you are running 19mm tyres anyway! ;)

Back