the unofficially cool MTB drop bar thread

Frankenorange":2m3wis2a said:
ThomasElliott":2m3wis2a said:
I'm in preparations for putting another drop bar MTB together, can I use any old road-style brake levers if I plan on using the original cantilever brakes? I think I did last time I built one, and that worked fine, but I guess I might have lucked out and used ones specifically made for canti-brakes.

New kid on the block here so hello all. Just finishing a drop bar build and have discoveed a few things along the way.

There are some road levers that are better than others i think but i am sure any drop bar road lever that suits side pull brakes will be tickety boo with cantis. Fyi i have campagnolo 9 speed veloce ergos pulling frogglegs cantis(fork mounted stop) with frogglegs cross levers and braking is excellent from both levers. Cant remember the make of pad tho.

Another thing..... the veloce 9sp levers work very well with sram x9 10 speed(exact actuation rear) front and rear mechs. The cassette is an xt 11-36 10 speed with the 11 sprocket removed so just running 9 speed at the back. Front is 34/46 and the x9 front mech shifts ok there too if mounted a little higher than the book setting to get the chain off the 34. Am going to try a 30 at some point and may lower the mech for that. I think the x9 front mech might hqve different max chainring cage options too. I found a mech with 48T stamped on the cage and it fits the 46 no probs.

Much appreciated!

...and that yellow GT is the bee's knees.

Re:

Updated:

Tektro long pull V-Brake compatible levers with Ultegra 8 speed bar end shifters, now its ready for anything.

IMG_20180914_153457_621.jpg

Not particullary classic but still...

[Fixed Gear Matt Chester UtiliTIman with custom forks (Gebla) and stem (Joel @Clockworks)]

Keep it roll'n

caemis":2qy1ihlk said:
Not particullary classic but still...

Lovely that. My kind of build. Two cages, one for the gin and one for the tonic. Only criticism is the chain sags at the top....

[Fixed Gear Matt Chester UtiliTIman with custom forks (Gebla) and stem (Joel @Clockworks)]

Keep it roll'n

Hi
Just building a Marin north side trail for my winter road bike as I want to strip my summer bike, will be running 700c with schwable marathon plus tires 2x8 speed group set with v-brakes, have ordered the vbrake extension kit so that shouldn’t be a problem. Only issue I can see is the shifters using the road leavers with built in gear change anybody else had any issues. See picture below so far.

Attachments

• 617EBED2-0241-4FFE-81B8-23FE2D7FD8B7.jpeg
    617EBED2-0241-4FFE-81B8-23FE2D7FD8B7.jpeg
    56.4 KB · Views: 905
Re:

My '97 Marin Pine Mountain. Paintwork was in a mess so a quick respray was needed.

Oh - and single speed. :cool:

Rolls well on the 2.25 tyres. I find the drops really help with the hills + single speed.

Attachments

• IMG_20190220_103852.jpg
    IMG_20190220_103852.jpg
    242.4 KB · Views: 661
Back