What a cool idea:

I have often used a chippies type suede tool roll which fits in a waterbottle with the top cut off. This I fill with tools, pop in a sandwich bag and ride off with, usually on a bikes first outing to tighten up what beds in. Also teng tools mini rosso 1/4" drive set with screw alen torx bits and 5mm - 13mm sockets fits in a camel back, then put a 1/2 an old car sponge in there to prevent chaffing and use a 1/2 back bladder (before any one states the obvious this is expensive if you don't already have all these things)

Jez, I agree it is a cool idea BUT only if the tool quality is any good and to be honest these type of ideas often use tools made of case hardened butter to keep the costs down :roll: Like the idea of high density foam in a water bottle to stoe stuff, make your own kit of good tools that you like, and remember, try different tools in different things, I have an awesome sykes pikavant screw driver that does almost all flat and cross head (including phillips) screws that you get on a bike and it also happens to do 3mm allen bolts up, Now thats a multi tool (doubles as a knife too in extremis!) :cool:

Let me think about it.....just need some kind of waterbottle container that you can open and close...

Even if it was some form of container that people could put change, mobile phone into etc.. Looks neater than a strap on bike pack and also u dont have to wear it...

jez

what you need is one of those alloy sigg type bottles

with no mouthpiece , just a screw on full size lid

with a foam insert , two halves , with the tool cutouts

or a tool roll , so you can add your own selection ;)

:D would you really consider full on adjustable spanner, ratchet screwdriver and metal tire levers for a ride :?

I use a cool tool (gotta keep it retro ;) ) and not really seen anything to usurp it yet.
Problem with all the folding allen key types is that when you ding a rim/bend a dropout etc nicely, you can't bend it back, so need a spanner of some sort. I have some sympathy with the bottle approach, just needs 'refining' for the more discerning cyclist :cool:

Those Cool Tool QR multi tools have been on US Ebay recently.. I have one on my Stumpy...
Used to have the Cool Tool with the adjustable on it- it's probably still sitting on a guard rail at the beginning of a long climb in Nagano, Japan where I left it after fixing a flat!!
Nowadays it's a relatively retro combination of Giro Pocket Rocket(?!) and Ritchey CPR-14, which a clip of three plastic tyre levers and (for some strange reason!) a Park Tool AWS-10 hex wrench set....

it's Bicycle Repairman!

Found one!

Couple of thoughts here - firstly a lot of bikes shops are now selling bottles with huge great mouth and no drinking bit on the lid, specifically for storing keys, mobiles etc (not a retro mobile though, that'd just be too big). Can't remember what they were called, but I've seen them in both JE James in Chesterfield and Pedal Revolution in Norich recently. About a fiver and in two sizes.

The other thing is that my local bike shop just took a bike in PX today with one of these kits on it, I spoke to them and they would be more than happy to sell it seperately. Let me know if you're interested and I'll put you in touch.

I remember having a water bottle that had a screw on section at the bottom for allen keys and sockets - I think it suffered from the cheap tools, though.

Like the bottle toolpack concept for longer rides, though, and a water/mud proof place to stash mobile & wallet! Beats a saddle pack which I keep checking because I'm paranoid it's fallen off

Back