Frozen stem in pace rc35 forks

Aha, so the wedge is loose?

Freeze spray may shock it loose.

Sudden shock loads (hammer etc) are often more effective than slow sustained force. But on the plus side, RC35s have a replaceable steerer tube!!

The stem might just be a tight fit. I still have to tap a stem steerer combo i have at the moment to get it out, i cant budge it by hand, just a really tight fit.

If it doesn't shock loose, i.e. use a hammer and bash the stem in each direction, don't waste your time with concoctions of cola, ammonia or wd40 etc, none will work - the corrosion holding the stem is thousands times deeper than is wide.

Just cut the stem off and use a hacksaw blade to chop the rest out.

First though try bashing the stem further into the steerer to loosen it, and sideways with a hammer.

Had to do this a few times on bikes, generally speaking the WD40 (lashings of), undo the stem bolt leaving a few threads still attached and whack with hammer to dislodge the wedge usually works. I also find that if i'm using brute force I find it best to actually keep it all together on the bike. Lots of twisting and pulling motion/wiggling helps but don't be afraid to use plenty of force and keep applying WD40 or the like...

Have you got any clue how much a new rc35 steerer would cost to replace? and what tools i nned to disconnect from the fork. I undid the alan bolts but the fork is still fixed on the steerer.

Cheers Damian

Re:

About £35 for new, undo the headset from top (if you have room), undo the allen bolts for steerer ONLY on crown, press down firmly to get the steerer to protrude from BOTTOM of crown slightly, pic out the retaining ring/circlip with small pick or screwdrivers, then pull the crown out bottom of steerer and hey presto. Steerers come up often on the for sale forum on here.

Back