mk one

Archivist
Retrobike Rider
BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
Kona Fan
Feedback
View
Some may have seen that i have now stopped using the Orange Prestige. So i have been looking out for another frame.

Most modern steel hardtails with named tubesets tend to be 853 and while there are some nice looking, and from what i have heard, nice riding frames out there at the moment it just doesnt really do it for me :|

I have been leaning towards another full suss frame as i couldnt find a hardtail i wanted really. Then, out of nowhere a frame came up as a recommendation while searching for others on the bay. To my suprise it was made from Prestige tubes which i didnt know anyone still used. It was my size also and cheap and to top it all off it was fluro yellow, well, how could a man resist :LOL:

Time is taken at the moment but it arrived today so took a quick pic and will try to get it together this weekend, the bike also :D

mark P1011020 (Medium).JPG

Last edited:
Re: Prestige frame

is it my computer or is the image not showing?

tintin40":2kqn9r1n said:
is it my computer or is the image not showing?

i can see it on the post so not sure why you cant :?

was8v":3tvqflpl said:
Charge duster?

Whats wrong with 853?

Yes, and nothing wrong with it just i prefer a softer ride from steel. The 853 frames i have ridden were stiffer than Prestige.

mark

Got bored of staring at the bare frame so swapped over the parts from the Orange tonight. Just have to change grips and stem and fit some different outer for the rear mech and fit chain and its ready :)

The frame is the 2011 version of the Charge Duster, earlier versions used Infinity tubes from what ive seen. Also i was suprised at the original price of the bike, not sure if you could just buy the frame but the base model was over £1k. I think the £80 i paid for this was a good price, even more so when you consider the above :cool:

Its hard to capture the fluro paint but its bright, even more so in the sun. Be safe, be seen :cool: :LOL:

couple of quick shots... P1011033 (Medium).JPG P1011030 (Medium).JPG

Last edited:
Looks sweet. I have the 2016 Charge Cooker 3 and I really rate it as a bike. The plus tyres make it a comfy ride even though it's an aluminium frame. The other advantage is, like yours, due to the proportions it looks retro.

The first time I went out with a bunch of local mountain bikers in North Wales who all ride full suspension - one of them proclaimed it as a Mountain Biker's Mountain Bike. I get a similar vibe from yours.

I'd definitely get another Charge in the future - and I like the idea of having a steel one.

Thanks greencat :) I like the look of it and also a few other steel hardtails about at the moment. I am hoping it will ride as nice as other Prestige frames, even though it is heavier. And based on a quick ride today it feels as nice :cool:

Couple of pics of a quick ride today to test the bike. The gear cable is bodged and needs sorting but worked ok, the front tyre is still loosing air and needs sorting and the rear wheel needs the bearings/cones sorting. I had it to bits today only to realise i dont know where my 17" cone spanner is 🤦 i think they are 17? so put it back together and rode with a wobble, not far though :)

The short ride felt comfy as the bike feels a bit bigger, not sure if thats the wheel base as the reach seemed shorter! whatever it is i like it already and seemed to pull up hills easier too. Cant wait to get it out around the woods now :cool: P1011045 (Medium).JPG P1011043 (Medium).JPG

Last edited:
I've had 3 of these now, lovely riding bikes! My latest one is this, sub 20lb springy steel rocket :D

Attachments

• 20180819_162300-1280x720.jpg
    20180819_162300-1280x720.jpg
    283.8 KB · Views: 1,374
Back