Wear a helmet or not?

Re:

I wear one, I encourage my Children to wear one.

I make sure they are new and certified.

If people don't then that's their choice. Each to their own :)

Re: Re:

widowmaker":254pwi5l said:
I wear one, I encourage my Children to wear one.

I make sure they are new and certified.

If people don't then that's their choice. Each to their own :)

Couldn't agree more. If only their were more on here with your view as well.

Re:

There are, they just don't bother mentioning it.

Cycling is more dangerous than walking because you are going slight faster. And you do out yourself with killing machines. Same as if you walked on the road, but you tend not to do that.

A helmet will not save you if a truck turned left and crushed you under its wheels, just as it wouldn't if you walked.
Or a truck mounts the pavement and swears blind it didn't see you.

There are limits to everything.

I do know a helmet did stop me getting bruises and headaches after a retrobike national and a posh land rover accident at some speed. (From me, not the car, it had just stopped).
I dented the bonnet and wing with my head and landed on rocky edging /road with the back of my head.
(Other might know better how thing bashed what).

I walked (ish, after a long lay down blocking the road in the moors for some hours and a nice trip to the seaside hospital).

Anyway, the helmet of course cracked front and back.

Did the helmet do any more than what I say, I don't know but I was comfy afterwards and didn't need time off work.

Do I always ride with a helmet, no it's 50:50 when commuting on our roads (I use it more for the visor). They 30mph max but busy.

Off road, nearly always as I use it as branch protection and again the visor for rain and sun shielding.

Do what you want, I do.

I also do know tales of accidents in dalby and simple sections, needing airlifting and not pretty sights.
Would they be any better with a helmet, apparently so, from the people that deal with it and see the accidents with/without helemet in similar situations, the answer is yes they would be better with a helmet.
It's not about brain damage, it's about general protection for a few quid.

As for children, that's up to the parent/career to decide.

Have fun, whatever you decide.

Re: Re:

d8mok":128d7rnj said:
I’ve not worn helmets until recently on any bike but if I’m honest it seems the norm now and everyone wears one. I always wear it on road bike and trail bike. Not on my Xc bike I’d just going paths etc.

At trail centres people look at you a bit weird if you don’t have one on. And if I’m honest it scares me getting a brain injury more than death.

That's an interesting point - I felt the same when I went skiing for the first time in about 15 years and everyone was wearing a helmet. Back then it was mostly just young kids and crazy speedsters that wore them but now it's most people. A biking buddy also came off his skis at 40mph and ended up being put in an induced coma - that was with a helmet too!

I think if something becomes the 'norm', it's easier to change your opinion - not to say that's the best reason to do it though but it got me wearing a ski helmet - in American XXL too because apparently my head is eff'in huge!!!

Back