1993 (?) K2 comp 1 restoration

Hi !

I just picked up a 1994 Comp-1 with full XTR gruppo in very good condition for 200 $ CAN. I'm curious to know what you've done with yours.

My plan is to use the gruppo for another project and I'm hesitating between rigid mtb or "gravel / dirt-drop" to build a bike for the easy trails. The thing is that I find the frame (wich is exactly like the one you have according to what I see) to be long but low for whatever application I'm planning... I hate the feeling and look of a 45 degrees stem...

Lefty

Attachments

• $_20.JPG
    $_20.JPG
    77.4 KB · Views: 685
Re:

Nice find for a reasonable price!

I'd say yours is a little later than mine: tapered down tube, smoother welds, color fade in the top-tube decal and side-mounted top tube cable guide all point to 1994, as you state, while mine is probably a 1992 model.

Indeed, they are long and low! I like my bikes to have a low front-end and a stretched position, so not too worried about that. The wheelbase is a bit longer than I'd have liked for lively handling.
I haven't got round to building mine up yet, but when I do I'll probably go for a low-rise stem, something like 20degrees or so. Or a suspension fork (mag 21s).

Keep us posted on your progress!

Hi !

I decided that the frame could be used to build a winter bike even though this frame was considered hi-end by some. Anyway I am starting to have a collection that takes way too much place and the frame did not intended to be purchased by a friend as I had thought. The XTR groupset that was on the bike will go on a to-be-restored vintage Stumpjumper FSR.

I had a lot of parts left out from other bikes, mostly black Deore group parts and some cheaper parts that I do not care to submit to the Montréal winter. I found cheap Schwalbe Ice Spikers and fenders that should fit.

I'm pretty sure the bike will survive a long time and will be fun to ride in the snow.

Pics next time I pass by...

Black looks good on a polished frame, and spiked tires are always cool. Not sure about the fenders though ;-)

Looking forward to the pics (but maybe start a separate thread for your bike?)!

Hello, I've a 1993 (I think) K2 with full suspension (FS-R)??? Do you still have the catalogue?? And any pics of the suspension models?

Attachments

• PSX_20190120_215616.jpg
    PSX_20190120_215616.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 421
Wow, what an interesting find!

Unfortunately I don't have any pictures of the full suspension models of 1993 or 1994. In my catalogue, the full sus model is named FS-1, but yours definitely also looks like a genuine K2, albeit with an almost exact copy of the Boulder Intrepid layout.

So for the hardtails, K2 copied Yeti (the loopstays) and for the full sus model they copied Boulder :)

Is the groupset 1993?

Re:

Its definitely genuine, I pick it up Thursday so will be able to find out more then. If I can figure out how to post from photobucket I'll post more photos.

Somewere on Retrobike there's a Swiss 1996 K2 catalog which doesn't have any full sus model, and after that K2 became Proflex, so yours must at least be 1995 or earlier.

Back