1997 Porsche S Bike by Steiner Designs / Voltec

Re: Midlife crisis.... I bought a 1997 Red Porsche

It look fantastic! Wow! I love the fork, reminds me a bit of the Trimnel fork some Raleigh Toruses had.

Re:

I’ve tried to be strong but I couldn’t help it ……….. I just don’t do - or should I say I just can’t live with “Patina” I can’t get past the fact that in 99% of cases it’s no more than just Dirt or Corrosion, no matter how hard folk dress it up as and try and sell it to me !

My excuse and I'm sticking to it is - Since the odd tyres were in need of replacing in favour of a matching pair, I had a moment of weakness in the process of removing them!

The wheels were fully taken apart.. and a date with Gunk and then Mr Peek and his finest metal polish ensued

One thing lead to another and before I knew it we had it down to component level, with surgical precision the 1997 reflector was saved or though I don't think it will be going back on, however it will be saved along with all the other original parts Michael saved over the years like the front handlebar reflector and flat pedals etc

whilst apart the bearing got a clean and repack

64 Spokes later and a lot of elbow grease on the Hubs they rediscovered their sparkle, had to be really careful to preserve the Sach’s logos

Having saved as much of the original components as possible and greased all the bearings I convinced myself that the Nipples were beyond saving,

And in keeping with the Euro build theme I’m trying to keep any new parts as close to that ethos as possible, Michelin/Velox’s Fond de Jante and Sapim

and then back together again after almost a full day of polishing with Radio 5 live for company.... just need a true and some new rubber :D

A Sachs cassette and Sedis chain are pending

Don't you have another project to be getting with....green lobster. This should be put away for 14 months...naughty boy playing with presents early...what is the world coming to!
Might be better if look I after it for the next 14 months, temptation and all that. ;)

Gerard":nm6xgyn1 said:
Might be better if look I after it for the next 14 months

:LOL: went all Yoda for a minute there :)

Ack!

Maguras.
No shimano.
Quirky.

It should be MINE!!!

Congrats Mr. Old Potato, You've made me Jealous.

MMMMmmmmmaguras...

Re:

Well that's something a bit different Nick! :cool:

Like that, especially the reassuring forks. What elastomers fit those? Pace? Rockshox?

Such dedication to cleaning, that you took the wheels apart, too! Cap doffed! ;) Brass nips are always my go-to replacement, as they don't corrode/round off, etc. But I can see why you chose black alloy ones instead.

Look forward to progress

FD

My_Teenage_Self":1avoz8if said:
Ack!

Maguras.
No shimano.
Quirky.

It should be MINE!!!

Congrats Mr. Old Potato, You've made me Jealous.

MMMMmmmmmaguras...

Thanks Steve, it certainly ticks a lot of boxes, :LOL:

And to help complete the process of getting it back to original spec (granted not the biggest challenge given how carefully Mike had preserved it over the past 20 years)

this arrived today 11-28 8 speed Sach Powerglide cassette

Whilst fitting it I also dug out the NOS tyres I’ve had for ages waiting for the day I’d have something to fit them to, OEM spec was Continental Leader Pro however I’ve only a XC and a Traction Pro both folders and both box fresh… hence the talc (which appears to have gone everywhere)

Attachments

• IMG_1023.JPG
    IMG_1023.JPG
    146.9 KB · Views: 966
  • IMG_1033.JPG
    IMG_1033.JPG
    130.4 KB · Views: 966
  • IMG_1030.JPG
    IMG_1030.JPG
    163.6 KB · Views: 966
  • IMG_1043.JPG
    IMG_1043.JPG
    165 KB · Views: 966
Re:

Mike Muz 67":2qz1yhdb said:
Well that's something a bit different Nick! :cool:

Like that, especially the reassuring forks. What elastomers fit those? Pace? Rockshox?

Such dedication to cleaning, that you took the wheels apart, too! Cap doffed! ;) Brass nips are always my go-to replacement, as they don't corrode/round off, etc. But I can see why you chose black alloy ones instead.

Look forward to progress
FD

Mike
I’ve always used Alloy Nipples, as brass versions are heavy and generally only come in silver, and you know I like my Anodising,
As for seizing I do use a smidge of copper grease of the threads before assembling but since I’m not a hard rider nor overly use my bikes in winter I’ve not had a problem so far…. Unlike my fancy assed crank bolts :oops: (nuff said)

And as for the elastomers they’re available off the peg via Suspension Fork Parts, and thanks to a contact in the USA should be on route shortly where upon I’ll get the forks part.

Looking at the SFP website they take an unfeasible amount of Elastomers. :shock: 18 Compression elastomers plus 8 rebound which is reflected in the price

Attachments

• Suspension Fork Parts.png
    Suspension Fork Parts.png
    58.2 KB · Views: 966
Re:

Very cool ride Nick :cool:
Love the fact that you get a service manual with parts breakdown for the forks.

Re:

Last bit of the Sachs jigsaw puzzle arrived. :LOL:

Are they any good ?

it was as cheap as chips, just hope it lasts the distance :shock:

Attachments

• file-3.jpeg
    file-3.jpeg
    240.2 KB · Views: 908
Back